Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCDST --> MCSA Requirements (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t660449-mcdst-mcsa-requirements.html)

Joe Gigliotti 07-12-2006 12:45 AM

MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

To become a MCDST I took exam 70-270 and 70-271. I am currently on my first
exam to become an MCSA (Exam 70-290). If I am reading all the requirements
correctly, I only need to take one more exam (Exam 70-291) to gain this
certification.

Under 'Core Exams: Networking System', it stats that I have to take both
Exam 70-290 and 70-291. Under 'Core Exams: Client Operaing System', it states
that I need to take 1 of the 2 exams. One of those exams is 70-270, which I
previously took to gain my MCDST certification so that mean I shouldnt have
to take that correct. Also, under Elective Exams, it says that the MCDST can
be used as an elective.

Someone please tell me if I am readying this correctly since only taking 1
more exam to become an MCSA seems sort of...well....simple. Thanks!

--
MCP/MCDST/A+/Network+/Server+/CNA

Dennis 07-12-2006 01:56 AM

RE: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

From what I understand from the Microsoft website and from contacting them
about a similar issue, to get your MCDST you need to pass 70-271 and 70-272.

For MCSA you need 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 plus one elective which include:
089, 227, 228, 284, 299, 350, or 431.

Hope that helps
--
Cheers,

Dennis

Marek Chmel 07-12-2006 06:36 AM

Re: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

Instead of elective you can use MSDST, A+, Network+, Server+ or
Security+ as it is written on MS web.

Marek

AJR 07-12-2006 03:44 PM

Re: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

Dennis is corrected - 70-270 is also required in addition to 70-290 and
7-291. The exam 70-272 -"Supporting Users....on a Microsoft Windows XP OS"
from MCDST does not substitute for 70-270 "Installing, Configuring...XP
Professional" - MCSA..

Garth H 07-12-2006 04:19 PM

Re: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

You're spot on.

According to the requirements page

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/

MCDST counts as an elective.

That said, don't think for one second that it is an "easy" cert. Even if
you think 70-290 is "easy", 70-291 will still be a challenge as it
really forces you to think about networking the Microsoft Way, versus
networking in most production environments.

Good Luck!!
--
Garth H
webdev511@spamcop.net

Dennis 07-13-2006 02:05 AM

Re: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

The worst part is that I found 290 harder than 291... I guess after failing
290 a few times I realized I better know my crap before going into the
exam... God bless the Second Shot free.
--
Cheers,

Dennis

Adrian Mereanu 07-14-2006 08:52 AM

RE: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

You need to take 70-272 and 70-291. Good Luck!

Garth H 07-15-2006 09:50 PM

Re: MCDST --> MCSA Requirements

Did you use and exam sims to see if you were ready, or did you just go
in thinking you were good to go?