Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sybex and Microsoft text (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t660395-sybex-and-microsoft-text.html)

New MCP 05-29-2006 07:27 AM

Sybex and Microsoft text

I'm currently studing for 70-290. How have people found the sybex and
Microsoft books. Are the two book enough?
--
New MCP

McKinley Morganfield 05-29-2006 12:29 PM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

New MCP wrote:
> I'm currently studing for 70-290. How have people found the sybex and
> Microsoft books. Are the two book enough?

I have found the Sybex books a bit "lightweight". Both MS Press and
Sybex together should be sufficient. I am using both books for 290
and 291 tests

Gareth C 05-29-2006 01:40 PM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

Well sybex cut out all the b*** S*** more less get to the point are you
reading any test kings ? im doing my exam on next friday : (

Mostly Gizzards 05-29-2006 01:57 PM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

Stay away from TestKings. Learn the material and only use Microsoft
approved Practice Test Engines.

Microsoft specifically approves MeasureUp, and I can say that after using
MeasureUp on one of my tests that It does help with confidence and knowing
what the test will look like.

--
Mostly Gizzards

A+ Network+ MCSA

Chessymonkey 06-13-2006 04:56 PM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

I just finished 70-290, got my hands on the microsoft press first
and lucky enough i thought it would be wise to check out the sybex one
turned out they really put their focus very differently..
One thing i don't like the Micrsoft press is that it lack depths in some area
ie: the IIS and the terminal service is close to none
which turned out i was asked quite often when i actually sit the exam
Sybex covered the materials that actually shows up in the exam better imo
just my .2 , luckily i managed to pass eventually but don't
rely on m$ press alone imo. back to my 291 study

GoodNightJones 06-19-2006 08:58 AM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

"Chessymonkey" <Chessymonkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just finished 70-290, got my hands on the microsoft press first
> and lucky enough i thought it would be wise to check out the sybex one
> turned out they really put their focus very differently..
> One thing i don't like the Micrsoft press is that it lack depths in some
> area
> ie: the IIS and the terminal service is close to none
> which turned out i was asked quite often when i actually sit the exam
> Sybex covered the materials that actually shows up in the exam better imo
> just my .2 , luckily i managed to pass eventually but don't
> rely on m$ press alone imo. back to my 291 study

Hi,

Im using the transender practise tests. Did you use them? Just wondering how
similar they are to the actual exam?

rgds

gnj

Simon@BSC Tech 06-19-2006 02:54 PM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

I didn't get to use Transenders on 290 but i've used them back on A+ and
network+
Which i found them very helpful and the answers' explanations were rather
clear.
If u've done 270 u pretty much know how they would word the questions.
The only major difference would be the sim and those 3 that i had was rather
straight forward, so if u've done yr share of study there should be no
problem following through the sim.

GoodNightJones 06-22-2006 08:37 AM

Re: Sybex and Microsoft text

"Simon@BSC Tech" <SimonBSCTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I didn't get to use Transenders on 290 but i've used them back on A+ and
> network+
> Which i found them very helpful and the answers' explanations were rather
> clear.
> If u've done 270 u pretty much know how they would word the questions.
> The only major difference would be the sim and those 3 that i had was
> rather
> straight forward, so if u've done yr share of study there should be no
> problem following through the sim.

Thanks, I did and I passed - woo hoo!