Velocity Reviews

-   -   backup program question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t660367-backup-program-question.html)

djc 04-25-2006 01:47 PM

backup program question

questions about 2k3's new ability to backup open files using the backup
utility. I know this feature uses the shadow copy technology but:

1) do 'Shadow Copies' have to be enabled/configured on a volume for feature
to work or does the backup utility handle this independantly?

2) if answer to 1 is yes: do shadow copies have to be enabled on THE volume
being backed up or just any volume on the source system?

2b) what if one backup job covers several servers each with several hard
drives each? do shadow copies need to be enabled/configured on all volumes
being backed up on all the servers?

needing clarification,
djc

The Rev [MCT] 04-26-2006 02:15 PM

Re: backup program question

No VSS doesn't need ot be preconfigured or enable for the NTBackup utillity
to use VSS backups.....

--
..rev.mct.mcngp.44

accepting it.