Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just Passed . . .Barely (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t660312-just-passed-barely.html)

McKinley Morganfield 03-20-2006 06:35 PM

Just Passed . . .Barely

I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).

The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
weaknesses were for a re-take.

I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect You have
completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700.
Talk about the skin of my teeth. I used the Sybex book and thought it
was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
suggestions on this would be appreciated.

I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.

Bigus Dikus 03-20-2006 11:42 PM

Re: Just Passed . . .Barely

<< While I was at work, McKinley Morganfield spurted out:
> I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the
> crap beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs.

That's nothing....wait til you've had 4-5 MCNGP Thugs beat the cr@p out of you
(mentally)

Congrats!!!
--
Bigus Dikus
MCNGP Sb (Antimony)

Montreal MCSA 03-21-2006 03:55 AM

RE: Just Passed . . .Barely

Congratulations on the pass McKinley! If you think that was hard then try
70-216 (I do not remember the equivalent 2003 exam). Wow.

To prepare for exams my philosophy is that no single resource is reliable
enough. Try a combination of a couple, such as the Sybari book with a
Microsoft Press book (which comes with some great Readiness Review samples!).
As well a good helping of product experience is always necessary. Like you
said, a pass is a pass... but the next one might be that much harder.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

MDG, MCSA

Chay 03-21-2006 02:41 PM

RE: Just Passed . . .Barely

Congratulations on passsing the test.

I agree it's best practice to have more than one source used for exam
preparation.
Classroom, MS-Press (self paced trainingkit) and experience in the field
works for me.

Using a few different sources, like Microsoft course and sybex, might get
confusing beacase of different approaches towards the items being discussed.

Gr.,
Chay!

McKinley Morganfield 03-22-2006 12:45 AM

Re: Just Passed . . .Barely

Chay wrote:
> Congratulations on passsing the test.
>
> I agree it's best practice to have more than one source used for exam
> preparation.
> Classroom, MS-Press (self paced trainingkit) and experience in the field
> works for me.
>
> Using a few different sources, like Microsoft course and sybex, might get
> confusing beacase of different approaches towards the items being discussed.
>
> Gr.,
> Chay!
>
> "McKinley Morganfield" wrote:
>
>> I just got home from taking the 270 test. I feel like I've had the crap
>> beat out of me (mentally) by 4-5 MS thugs. I used all the time allotted.
>> I finished the 58 questions with 20 minutes left to review. I actually
>> changed 2 answers ( I was guessing anyway).
>>
>> The test was heavily weighted toward Enterprise Level support. Questions
>> on IIS, Intranet setup and security. Group Policy administration from
>> server to client. Remote Login via RAS and VPN. There were a few
>> installation questions but not as many as expected. 20 questions into
>> the test I thought the testing center goofed up and I was taking the 290
>> test. About 30 questions in, while looking at a question that I had no
>> clue what the answer was, I accepted the fact that I was bombing big
>> time. I continued on and finished hoping I could figure out what my
>> weaknesses were for a re-take.
>>
>> I finished and lo and behold it said something to the effect “You have
>> completed the test. A score of 700 is needed to pass. Your score : 700”.
>> Talk about the “skin of my teeth”. I used the Sybex book and thought it
>> was good material and was confident that I knew consistently 90-95% of
>> the material. I feel it no way prepared me for this test. The book may
>> be good, but I feel for the 290 test, I may need something else. Any
>> suggestions on this would be appreciated.
>>
>> I know a pass is a pass. For some reason I'm more relieved than excited.

I agree with what both of you say. I am looking at nerdbooks.com for a
MS press 290 book now. I will use both, take my time and take the test
in august

Julia B 03-26-2006 10:49 PM

RE: Just Passed . . .Barely

Congratulations!

I took this exam on March 6 and passed. Your experience sounds almost
identical to mine. I couldn't believe how drained I felt once it was over.
I was pretty confident as I went to take the exam but then during the exam I
didn't think I was going to pass. I was so relieved when the Congratulations
screen came up telling me what the score needed to pass was and what my score
was.

I'm studying for 290 now. I plan to use multiple sources. I want to be
more prepared this time. I'd like to take it towards the end of May or in
June.

Ross Houlton 03-27-2006 11:18 AM

RE: Just Passed . . .Barely

I had 3 weeks to study for that, had to do it so the company I worked for
kept their partnership program, can't remember my score. Nailed it pretty
well though. I'd say experience in the field counts for more than all the
reading resources available.