Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question re: EFS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t660223-question-re-efs.html)

pez 01-16-2006 03:48 PM

Question re: EFS

I was reading "Encrypting and decrypting data with Encrypting File
System" on microsoft's website and they had some conflicting
information. They say, "When moving an unencrypted file to an
encrypted folder, the file remains unencrypted." Yet they also state a
few line above this, "If a user encrypts a folder, all files and
subfolders created in or added to the encrypted folder are
automatically encrypted." Through testing I have found the later
statement to be correct. Am I missing something or is the first
statement just a typo? Thanks in advance. Here is the URL from the
page I got the info from:
"http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_SEconceptsImpEncrypt.htm"

Peter

Steve Wicker 01-16-2006 11:14 PM

Re: Question re: EFS

Nothing is conflicting here. If a folder is encrypted, all files in that
folder at that time are encrypted. If you then subsequently copy or move a
file, it will take on the appropriate properties; read copying and moving
files. Easy :0)

news:1137426499.780098.31280@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

pez 01-17-2006 01:43 PM

Re: Question re: EFS

Thanks for the input. But if I move an unencrypted file into an
encrypted folder it encrypts the file. According to the documentation
this file should remain unencrypted. Has this featured changed with
Xp? I am at work while I am doing this testing. I just assumed 2000
and Xp would behave the same in regards to this. Sorry if I am wasting
your time.

beb 01-18-2006 12:08 AM

Re: Question re: EFS

Try it on a 2000 Server.