Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCSA self-study (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t659648-mcsa-self-study.html)

Lee 02-09-2005 12:39 PM

MCSA self-study

Hi.

I am looking at going for MCSA by using the self-study
material (cannot afford a course).

I had a few questions...

- I do not have access to a WS-2003 machine. Is the 180-day
trial version that comes with the self-study kits good for
all of the content in the books ?

- Does most of the material entail hands-on examples ?

- Have many other people taken the self-study route ? If
so, what were your experiences ? (how long did it take you
, were the books comprehensive and complete , etc) .

- I have a computer science degree but have no practical
experience yet (but consider myself resourceful and
quick-to-learn) . Am I barking up the wrong tree when it
comes to getting a foot in the door to this scant(for
newcomers) industry by taking MCSA ?

If anyone feels like passing on their experience I'd be
grateful .

Thanks in advance

Lee.

The Rev \(MCT\) 02-09-2005 01:58 PM

Re: MCSA self-study

Response In-line...
--
"The Rev" MCNGP #44
Microsoft Certified Trainer

justafreak.com
..
"Lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I am looking at going for MCSA by using the self-study
> material (cannot afford a course).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/
and
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/

These sites have links to self pased study material. I know others exist,
but I really liked the Microsoft Press stuff. But if you choose to go
elsewhere like many do and those books don't include a trial version of
Windows 2003 then go here and get a copy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/evalkit.mspx

> I had a few questions...
>
> - I do not have access to a WS-2003 machine. Is the 180-day
> trial version that comes with the self-study kits good for
> all of the content in the books ?

Any "Time-Bomb" Windows Server 2003 trial will work fine for study purposes.
The included and downloadable version is Enterprise.

> - Does most of the material entail hands-on examples ?

While there are examples in the book for the purpose of self-paced labs,
ther aren't any "real-world" typical scenarios. They are all however a good
guide line and I know that as you prove yourself in the real world those
books will be a great tool of reference.

> - Have many other people taken the self-study route ? If
> so, what were your experiences ? (how long did it take you
> , were the books comprehensive and complete , etc) .

Personally I didn't use self-study books, but I have read all of them for
the 2003 MCSE track Microsoft has to offer. No one I'm afriad will be able
to tell you hopw many unless a survey I'm unaware of was conducted, however
as to the second part of this question; It really depends on you personally.
How fast to you read and how easily do you pick stuff up? No one can really
give you an accurate answer to this for comparison to your own studies.

> - I have a computer science degree but have no practical
> experience yet (but consider myself resourceful and
> quick-to-learn) . Am I barking up the wrong tree when it
> comes to getting a foot in the door to this scant(for
> newcomers) industry by taking MCSA ?

Understand that "Paper Professionals" are Certificate holders with no
experience, however even with that said understand with a cert and a degree
yo ustill have a small "leg-up" against others in a job interview. I will
say this however, just don't think you'll make 6 figures right from the get
go, it just wont happen. But by the time you gain that experience and have
your certification I'm sure you'll do fine. I did it in the reverse order
starting with experience then getting my certifications, but unfortunatly
that isn't always possible, because even for some entry level jobs now they
want a certification. (Something I do not agree with)

Also don't be afraid to take temporary or ontract jobs with people like
KForce and TekSystems. These jobs are a great way to build hands-on real
world experience and add it to your resume. Plus it wont hurt your
confidence level when you take that first test.

catwalker63 02-10-2005 02:05 AM

Re: MCSA self-study

"Lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> prattled ceaslessly in

> Hi.
>
> I am looking at going for MCSA by using the self-study
> material (cannot afford a course).
>
> I had a few questions...
>
> - I do not have access to a WS-2003 machine. Is the 180-day
> trial version that comes with the self-study kits good for
> all of the content in the books ?
>
> - Does most of the material entail hands-on examples ?
>
> - Have many other people taken the self-study route ? If
> so, what were your experiences ? (how long did it take you
> , were the books comprehensive and complete , etc) .
>
> - I have a computer science degree but have no practical
> experience yet (but consider myself resourceful and
> quick-to-learn) . Am I barking up the wrong tree when it
> comes to getting a foot in the door to this scant(for
> newcomers) industry by taking MCSA ?
>
> If anyone feels like passing on their experience I'd be
> grateful .
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Lee.

For study, use MS Press but don't expect it to cover everything in the
exam. The Readiness and Review section at the back of the book has a
list of suggestions for further reading -- read them. If you have any of
the practice exams (Transcender, Self-Test, Measure Up), they have
suggested reading in their explanations of answers -- read any
of those in areas you still have trouble. There are losts of resources
on the microsoft site for further reading (resource kits, help files,
knowledge base, technet, msdn, white papers, etc.) If you can afford
it, get more than one book. One author may be good at explaining one
topic and suck at another so cover your bets. Read the reviews at
amazon, barnes and noble, etc. and find out what people who bought the
books thought. Use the practice exams later in your study to gauge your
understanding of the material.

The thing that will help you the most for these exams though, is
practice. Set up a network with as many computers as you can get your
hands on. If you can't get two or more computers, invest in VM Ware
Workstation to simulate a network. The MS Press books and many of the
others come with 120 day evaluation versions of server or professional
to practice with. Use them.

And don't use braindumps (any practice exam that professes to have the
real questions from the exam -- testking, troytech, realexam,
certkiller, actual tests etc.). This is cheating and is a violation of
the certification process as well as a lowlife, ass****ing way to live.

I've taken classes in the past and while I enjoyed them (enjoyed being
out of the office too), I didn't learn very much I didn't already know.
I felt like we rushed through the material, almost having it read to us
by the instructor, rushed through the labs (sometimes dragging a partner
that couldn't find the start menu, much less the administrative tools),
and felt like I could have learned more if I'd been left alone all that
time with the book and the computers. I proved it by passing three
exams so far by self-study. It's up to you to decide if your the type
of person that can learn best from a class or on your own.

That is all. Good luck!

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

The Rev \(MCT\) 02-10-2005 03:56 AM

Re: MCSA self-study

Good luck...

anao 02-10-2005 11:24 AM

Re: MCSA self-study

You can do it with CBT....

Use CBT-Nuggets and Testking....

Gr. Jan

"Lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

catwalker63 02-10-2005 11:36 AM

Re: MCSA self-study

"anao" <nospam@hccnet.nl> prattled ceaslessly in news:420b4400$0$1352
$3a628fcd@reader2.nntp.hccnet.nl:

> You can do it with CBT....
>
> Use CBT-Nuggets and Testking....

Don't listen to this a.s.s.f.u.c.k.e.r!

LnkWizard 02-10-2005 01:44 PM

Re: MCSA self-study

"catwalker63" <_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95F924B047F1Bcatwalker63athotmail@216.196. 97.136...
> "anao" <nospam@hccnet.nl> prattled ceaslessly in news:420b4400$0$1352
> $3a628fcd@reader2.nntp.hccnet.nl:
>
> > You can do it with CBT....
> >
> > Use CBT-Nuggets and Testking....
> >

> Don't listen to this a.s.s.f.u.c.k.e.r!
>
> --
> Catwalker
> aka Pu$$y Feet
> BS, MCP
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
>
> "Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

Dang it woman, why did you have to get up so early. I wanted to
flame this jokers butt. We get so few good ones that come in
here (Lee), that when an @ss****er like anao offers such fsked
up advice, I want to flame them so hard there Grandma feels it.

Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

http://www.mcngp.com

anao 02-10-2005 09:40 PM

Re: MCSA self-study

Must be a real M$ trainer.....

Gr. Johan
MCSE2003, CCNP, RHCE
with CBTNUGGETS

"catwalker63" <_catwalker63_@hotmamamail.com> schreef in bericht

C.G. 02-10-2005 10:11 PM

RE: MCSA self-study

Hi,

MCSE 2000 Upgradeing to 2003

I just took an 70-292 for the third time. I wasted $100 for Microsoft's
WORTHLESS "Upgrading Your Certification to Windows Server 2003", going
through the entire book and all the labs. I feel like I answered almost all
of the questions correctly. But with the exam, you can't tell. Then I got
this crap about how "Some questions may not be counted, others are for
testing/development purposes, blah blah, blah" as a disclaimer before taking
the exam. How the hell do I know what is counted and what is not? This
doesn't seem ethical here. How do we even know if the exam results are
processed correctly or ethically if we can't get any feedback on anything?
70-292 bites.

My advice is do not use Microsoft's WORTHLESS crap to study for this exam.
Find something else. Microsoft can make the exam but they sure as hell can't
produce any training material that covers anythging on it. Typical. If
anyone finds a decent text please post. C.G.

catwalker63 02-10-2005 11:47 PM

RE: MCSA self-study

"=?Utf-8?B?Qy5HLg==?=" <CG@discussions.microsoft.com> prattled
ceaslessly in news:75F60416-943C-4065-B5EA-3A6C58A28253@microsoft.com: