Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Hands On Technology Transfer" - (HOTT) <--- Anyone used these guys for MCSE? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t659617-hands-on-technology-transfer-hott-anyone-used-these-guys-for-mcse.html)

Nick Oz 01-20-2005 08:16 PM

"Hands On Technology Transfer" - (HOTT) <--- Anyone used these guys for MCSE?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about attending an MCSE certification course with "Hands
on Technology Transfer" (HOTT) http://www.traininghott.ca

Has anyone had experience with this company? I'm just making sure I
do some research before I dole out the loot.

Cheers all,

NJO

T-Bone 01-21-2005 02:32 PM

Re: "Hands On Technology Transfer" - (HOTT) <--- Anyone used these guys for MCSE?

"Nick Oz" <nick.osburn@gmail.com> wrote
> I'm thinking about attending an MCSE certification course with "Hands
> on Technology Transfer" (HOTT) http://www.traininghott.ca
>
> Has anyone had experience with this company? I'm just making sure I
> do some research before I dole out the loot.

Wow, $2875 sounds like a lot for one training course. I have definitely seen
lower prices. Depending on what type of learning you prefer, another thing
to consider is spending that money to buy yourself some computer hardware
and books. Set up a lab and learn it yourself.

Mael Stark 01-21-2005 11:13 PM

"Nick Oz" <nick.osburn@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
60add70f.0501201216.64f3a5a1@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about attending an MCSE certification course with "Hands
> on Technology Transfer" (HOTT) http://www.traininghott.ca
>
> Has anyone had experience with this company? I'm just making sure I
> do some research before I dole out the loot.
>
> Cheers all,
>
> NJO

Hi,

What in the pantyhose are you talking about ??

mortimer@gmail.com 02-08-2005 08:51 PM

Re: "Hands On Technology Transfer" - (HOTT) <--- Anyone used these guys for MCSE?

Not sure if you noticed, but the $2875 is CAN currency. In fact, the
price is pretty reasonable to what you'd expect for a 5-day ILT
program.

Books may work fine. But some people (myself included!) need to attend
a class, learn from classmates, have someone answer their questions....

Good luck.

T-Bone 02-08-2005 09:49 PM

Re: "Hands On Technology Transfer" - (HOTT) <--- Anyone used these guys for MCSE?

<mortimer@gmail.com> wrote
> Not sure if you noticed, but the $2875 is CAN currency. In fact, the
> price is pretty reasonable to what you'd expect for a 5-day ILT
> program.

I noticed. I still think its a lot. A five day course around here is about
$2000 cdn.

> Books may work fine. But some people (myself included!) need to attend
> a class, learn from classmates, have someone answer their questions....

Agreed. I just mention the home lab because some people never think of it
from that perspective.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

ITinNY 11-28-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Oz (Post 3746951)
Hi all,

I'm thinking about attending an MCSE certification course with "Hands
on Technology Transfer" (HOTT)

Has anyone had experience with this company? I'm just making sure I
do some research before I dole out the loot.

Cheers all,

NJO

Did you ever actually take the class with HOTT? I'm considering it but also can't find any reviews. If so, what did you think?

Thanks!

benmiu 02-19-2013 04:27 PM

- Students work in pairs on the computer and at no point are you allowed to use your own computer for a lab. Somehow managed to get my own computer since I was the odd man out but was told to ‘switch with someone else in an hour so I am forced to share a computer’. Against company policy to have your own computer even though website mentions ‘students work in teams with active participation’ which to most people just means occasionally you work on a lab as a team. They state their policy is to try to encourage the instructor to make sure each student gets to use the keyboard at some point during the labs.

- The class size was 11. Company policy states that 11 is a small class size. There are not enough computers in the room individually for 11 people. Some students brought laptops but were asked to stop using them.

- No internet in the class. If you want to do research on what you are working on, you won’t be able to do this.

- No powerpoint slides, no overhead projector, just an old fashioned whiteboard. Company policy states it adds no value to learning.

- This forces the instructor to read the textbook line by line. The instructor I had for the SQL course wasn’t even explaining the content other than reading the lines.

- Computers are at least 4-5 years old (Pentium II) despite being told that they are faster computers built in an older case. For $1500, you would think the monitors would be larger than 19 inch.

- Not enough installation media so you have to share once each pair is done installing the software. This wastes valuable time that can be spent learning the topic

- When I decided to leave and self-study at the hotel, HOTT decided to go through the trouble of finding my employer online and notifying them without contacting me first to find out what the problem with the course is

- When I approach HOTT for a refund, was told that everything mentioned above is part of company policy in an email and that no refund would be provided.