Velocity Reviews

-   -   Security+ as elective? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t659249-security-as-elective.html)

zomack 06-02-2004 01:26 PM

Security+ as elective?

Just finished 70-218(and 210, 215) so am heading into the elective for MCSA2000. Am thinking about Security+ since it counts, by itself, as elective for MCSA and MCSA:Security+, not to mention I'd get at least one vendor-neutral cert. Will probably get the Security designation, anyway, before upgrading to Win2k3

Anybody else take a similar route(MCSA: Security or using Security+ as elective) that can provide any tips/feedback/insight/etc.??

Thanks in advance!
Zomack

Tom Helms [MSFT] 06-02-2004 02:19 PM

Re: Security+ as elective?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp

--
Tom Helms [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."Please
do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only."

Grog in Ohio 06-02-2004 04:51 PM

Re: Security+ as elective?

After taking several Windows 2000 exams, I found the Security+ a welcome and
easy breath of fresh air. It's a good strategy.

Grog

Panorama 06-02-2004 08:22 PM

Re: Security+ as elective?

I have passed the Security+ even before I started my MCSE. Boy its tough.
Its definitely a good strategy. I am on MCSE path right now, going to take
my 210 next week.

About Security+

Watch out for those tricky choices/answers (Not questions). All of em sound
right but its always the best answer. There were lot of controversies about
this but since the Security+ paper was designed by industry experts nothing
changed. On the contrary, I heard its going to be much tougher (more
confusing).

Try to avoid the Exam cram. (I missed in attempt one after using the cram) I
would rather recommend the use of Microsoft Press Guide. Its fantastic.

Don't believe any Security+ dumps cause there ain't any. I have not seen any
questions on the internet when I attempted last December.

Be ready to sweat in the exam. It would be grooling.

Read the attack methodologies carefully. They are very important.

Security+ covers the 7 domains from CISSP's 10 domains. so reading a CISSP
book will help for this exam and CISSP aswell. Shon Harris and Ronald Kurtz
are the best CISSP books.

The passing score is 764 and you get about 80 questions so that's atleast a
62 right and the difficulty level is high.

I suggest you to join Security+ and CISSP news groups. There are lots.

I have attempted most of the Microsoft papers (3.51,4.0 & 2k) and others
exams aswell (SSCP,CompTIA,Cisco) trust me you will change the way you think
and act with regards to IT infrastructure after you take the Security+
paper.

Remember when you are attempting the MS certs its mostly about the
technology but in vendor neutral certs its always about the methodology or
the theory. You might wanna be extra sure about the power options, the
codes, microlevel understanding of cryptography, algorithms PKI, PKI applied
on Win2k, CA & Key Management. Wireless networking Security, physical
security.

Suggested readings:
TCAT Guide, Boson Guide, Kiran Gupta's overview, Exam Cram, MS Press
SYO-101Training Kit, Stallings Cryptography & Network Security, Shon Harris
& Ronald Kurtz CISSP guide, (Any thing good on Bio metric identification
methods) I would recommend reading the RFC's, NIST & CC material & some BS
7799 material

To practise DC's and CA you might wanna work on Linux for a while. The
apache server is quite helpful and there are some IBM based tools which you
can find to help you simulate a CA, CS and other stuff.

I used ethereal to understand TACACS & RADIUS. Its more convenient and
better than any bit reader I have seen. You can see every message that flows
across. Ethereal tends to crash after 200 MB accumulation so it would be a
good idea to recompile it (GNU available and its OSS product)

I would give this exam atleast 3 Months of prep time.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Sunny

Sartan Dragonbane 06-03-2004 05:22 AM

Re: Security+ as elective?

I had 100 questions on my Security+, pass score was something like 764.. I
squeezed a pass by probably one question. It took me 15 minutes to do
compared to the usual 45 mins or so per MCP exam, but MCP exams typically
yield higher me scores. (900s)
I think the only reason I sqeaked by was probably because of my
background...
I think it looks much better on a resume than any other Microsoft exam,
hands down, especially considering how the godforsaken MCSE is now a desktop
support certificate.
On that note, I don't think I'll be continuing my MCSA to MCSE any time
soon. It's overrated, and very expensive.
At least I have work now :/