Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   how to set Browser at Full Screen (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t658928-how-to-set-browser-at-full-screen.html)

Mel Smith 01-11-2009 07:36 PM

how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
Hi:

How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
my page ??

(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML, XHTML,
CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David Flanagan).

Thanks,

--
Mel Smith



Nik Coughlin 01-11-2009 07:42 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
"Mel Smith" <med_cutout_syntel@aol.com> wrote in message
news:6sv01fF89icgU1@mid.individual.net...
> Hi:
>
> How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after
> loading my page ??
>
> (btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
> got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
> looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)
>
> Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML,
> XHTML, CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David
> Flanagan).


This code should do it:

<p>
Please press F11.
</p>

Seriously though, rebuild your page. As a self-confessed novice you need
the practise anyway.


Jukka K. Korpela 01-11-2009 07:55 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
Mel Smith wrote:

> How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after
> loading my page ??


Only by cracking into the user's system. That's a punishable crime in
civilized countries.

> (btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same
> question and got told this morning: "Don't".


You got the correct answer.

> However, my page (built
> by me - a novice) looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly)
> full screen.)


I have no difficulties in believing that, even without the "unless" clause.

For your information, "full screen" can mean anything from zero pixels to
larger resolutions than you ever heard of.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


Mel Smith 01-11-2009 08:37 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
Nik & Jukka:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((

-Mel



richard 01-11-2009 08:52 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:36:11 -0700, "Mel Smith"
<med_cutout_syntel@aol.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
> How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
>my page ??
>
> (btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
>got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
>looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)
>
> Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML, XHTML,
>CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David Flanagan).
>
>Thanks,



<body width=1000000 height=1000000>


Bergamot 01-11-2009 08:52 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 

Mel Smith wrote:
>
> How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
> my page ??
>
> my page (built by me - a novice)
> looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)


You are fixing the wrong problem. Correct the cause of the page looking
crappy instead. If you post a URL we should be able to give you some
pointers.

--
Berg

houghi 01-11-2009 09:14 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> For your information, "full screen" can mean anything from zero pixels to
> larger resolutions than you ever heard of.


On one computer I have 800x480. On another I have 5440x1200.
(2x1920x1200 + 1x1600x1200)

However standard my browser is at 876x1170 or at 1178x1170 and I hate it
if anybody messes with that.

houghi
--
Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

Mel Smith 01-11-2009 09:55 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
To All:

Thanks for your various views.

I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE and
FireFox:

<body>
onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,sc reen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">

This seems to work perfectly (altho it violates all your advice :(( )

My users willl be very unsophisticated windows users (maybe a couple of
hundred of them) who will very likely have IE on their machines (and much
less likely FF).

I want to be able to paint my Login Screen simply and clearly with all
text, no pictures, and entice them to proceed without telling them about the
fullscreen icon on the upper-right of their browser screen and what it means
(or the 'restore' button that occurs after they go fullscreen).

I never thought about this until two days ago (after designing my
login.htm page). I looked at it and it had 'folded' all my nice layout and
it looked really jumbled. A bit more testing (stretching and shortening
horizontally) told me that I needed a certain mimimum horizontal size before
it looked 'proper'.

(and I'm not going to expose my URL to total ridicule until I've
finished screwing it up :)) )

So, fire away !!!

-Mel Smith



Nik Coughlin 01-11-2009 10:25 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
"Mel Smith" <med_cutout_syntel@aol.com> wrote in message
news:6sv87aF8djghU1@mid.individual.net...
> To All:
>
> Thanks for your various views.
>
> I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE
> and FireFox:
>
> <body>
> onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,sc reen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">
>
> This seems to work perfectly (altho it violates all your advice :(( )


There are numerous problems with this approach. I'm not even going to start
to explain them, I'm just going to say don't do it, please don't do it.
I've offered you a temporary alternative below.

> My users willl be very unsophisticated windows users (maybe a couple of
> hundred of them) who will very likely have IE on their machines (and much
> less likely FF).
>
> I want to be able to paint my Login Screen simply and clearly with all
> text, no pictures, and entice them to proceed without telling them about
> the fullscreen icon on the upper-right of their browser screen and what it
> means (or the 'restore' button that occurs after they go fullscreen).


That's maximise, not "full screen". Completely different thing.

> I never thought about this until two days ago (after designing my
> login.htm page). I looked at it and it had 'folded' all my nice layout and
> it looked really jumbled. A bit more testing (stretching and shortening
> horizontally) told me that I needed a certain mimimum horizontal size
> before it looked 'proper'.


OK, look, if you insist on doing this, and this isn't necessarily a great
thing to do either, but it's a lot better than what you're doing:

<body style="width: 800px; min-width: 800px;">

Adjust the 800px as necessary until your layout stops falling apart

But really, just fix your layout.


Mel Smith 01-11-2009 10:52 PM

Re: how to set Browser at Full Screen
 
Nik said:

> OK, look, if you insist on doing this, and this isn't necessarily a great
> thing to do either, but it's a lot better than what you're doing:
>
> <body style="width: 800px; min-width: 800px;">
>
> Adjust the 800px as necessary until your layout stops falling apart
>
> But really, just fix your layout.



Nik:

Thanks ! I'll try the above and implement it.

-Mel Smith




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.