Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t658839-cant-change-ownership-or-permissions-on-vista-image.html)

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-10-2009 10:45 PM

Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

Hi Folks,

I sure hope someone can help me out here.

I made a image of a PC that was running Windows Vista. The image was
made using Storage Craft ShadowProtect by connecting the HDD from the
Vista Machine to a PC running Windows XP Pro.

I then mounted the Vista image from the XP Pro PC, as a F: drive with
read and write ability.

I was browsing the files under \USERS\User1\Documents - no problem
there. But then I went to look at \USERS\User1\Application Data &
\Local Settings\ - in both cases I got access denied.

So I right clicked on the folder to go into the security tab and take
ownership, but the security tab was not present (and yes I have simple
file sharing turned off). I can see the security tab on some other
folders, but not Local Settings or Application Data.

What is going on here? How do I get access?

I see in Vista that Music, Pictures etc are not sub folders of
Documents. With XP I used to be ableto just copy My Documents and all
its sub folders to copy most of a users data, I am assuming with Vista
you could just xcopy everything under \USERS\Username\ ?

Cheers

-Al

none 01-10-2009 10:58 PM

Re: Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

I'm no expert but to me sounds like your trying to access someone else's
hard drive. If it is your own hard drive and you are trying to view from an
image you should have no problem because I do that all the time to recover
files. But if you connect a drive from another computer to retrieve your
files you will have problems because Windows XP and Vista Encrypts user
accounts for your protection to keep other people from accessing your files.

Michael Walraven 01-10-2009 11:02 PM

Re: Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

You can't. They don't exist in Vista as folders. They are Junction Points
(Google vista junction points for lots of info).
They are there for compatibility with XP programs that used them. Turn off
showing hidden and system files and they won't show.

Michael

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-10-2009 11:13 PM

On Jan 11, 11:58*am, "none" <perso...@nospamwanted.net> wrote:
> I'm no expert but to me sounds like your trying to access someone else's
> hard drive.

Thats exactly what I am trying to do. Its a mate computer that we
formatted, and now we want to put stuff back, like wallpaper etc, Mail
data files etc etc.

> files. But if you connect a drive from another computer to retrieve your
> files you will have problems because Windows XP and Vista Encrypts user
> accounts for your protection to keep other people from accessing your files.

I thought encryption was option?

The Documents I can get to. Its the other stuff that is tricky.

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-10-2009 11:14 PM

Re: Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

On Jan 11, 12:02*pm, "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalra...@verizon.not>
wrote:
> You can't. They don't exist in Vista as folders. They are Junction Points
> (Google vista junction points for lots of info).
> They are there for compatibility with XP programs that used them. Turn off
> showing hidden and system files and they won't show.

When you say 'they' dont exist as folders, I assume you are refering
to Application Data and Local Settings Folders?

Cheers

-Al

none 01-10-2009 11:26 PM

Re: Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

The simplest way would have saved every thing to another Hard Drive or to
cds then you would not have to bother trying to get to stuff. Encryption of
certain files or folders once logged off is encrypted regardless and it is
not an option I had both Microsoft and Other Technical Professionals that
repair computers and build them tell me that. If you can put the operating
system back on the drive then save all the stuff you want to another hard
drive or cd then put them back on the computer The is no Windows XP Style
folders in vista the folders in the users documents. The XP folder styles
are for backward compatibility only for programs that need them that are
prior to Windows Vista. In that sense you are chasing a ghost that is not
there.

Michael Walraven 01-10-2009 11:27 PM

Re: Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

AL,
Those two among many others.
Vista is much more protective of itself and its users. With what you are
trying to do (get access to everything on the back-up drive) you cannot do
much harm with anything you do with access rights and permissions. However
if you fool around with those in your primary bootable drive you can rapidly
created a powered paperweight.

Michael

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-11-2009 01:53 AM

Re: Cant change Ownership or Permissions on Vista Image

> There is nothing in these shortcuts as they are symbolic links from the old
> name to the new name so old software with hardwired links can work correctly
> e.g. the symbolic link "My Music" points to "Music"
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thanks Paul. Thats quite a detailed post. I will look into that peice
of software you mentioned too.

Regards & Thanks

-Al

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com 01-11-2009 01:56 AM

On Jan 11, 12:51*pm, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> [...]

> > there. But then I went to look at \USERS\User1\Application Data &
> > \Local Settings\ - in both cases I got access denied.

> > So I right clicked on the folder to go into the security tab and take
> > ownership, but the security tab was not present (and yes I have simple
> > file sharing turned off). I can see the security tab on some other
> > folders, but not Local Settings or Application Data.

> > What is going on here? How do I get access?

> > I see in Vista that Music, Pictures etc are not sub folders of
> > Documents. With XP I used to be ableto just copy My Documents and all
> > its sub folders to copy most of a users data, I am assuming with Vista
> > you could just xcopy everything under \USERS\Username\ ?

> > Cheers

> > -Al

> Al
>
> Take Ownership right click menu hack.http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...wnership-to-ex...
>
> You are correct in your assessment of the Vista User folder structure.
> Music, Pictures, Video etc are at the same level in the directory tree as
> Documents.
> If you don't have 'Show hidden files & folders ticked' then you can happily
> copy your whole 'username' folder without problem.
> Note your email messages are still hidden away in an obscure location
> though.
> I just hope MS is intending to fix this in Windows 7 as they did with the
> addressbook in Vista (by moving it to the Contacts folder)
> Contacts having the same level as Documents, Music etc. i.e it's visible and
> easily backed up.
> You could move your email message store folder to the same level as
> Documents, Music etc and include it in your normal backup.
>
> To find your email store folder to back it up or to move it you have to tick
> 'Show hidden files and folders' under folder options/view tab in control
> panel.
> This will show the foler c:\users\username\Appdata which contains a whole
> raft of files and folders.
> Your email store folder is buried in there.
> (Appdata\local\microsoft\Outlook. or ...\Windows Mail)
>
> Don't bother trying to *copy/backup C:\Users\Username\Appdata it's huge (4GB
> on my copy of Vista) and contains mainly programs settings and other OS
> data.
> Why MS continues to bury OL and WM message stores in these obscure locations
> beats me.
> But then that's Microsoft, & it's unlikely to improve.
>
> When you're poking around in C:\Users\Username\ with the hidden attribute
> off, you wll see what looks like shortcuts to 'My Documents' 'My Music' etc.
> You won't be able to access these shortcuts, all you will get is an access
> denied error.
> There is nothing in these shortcuts as they are symbolic links from the old
> name to the new name so old software with hardwired links can work correctly
> e.g. the symbolic link "My Music" points to "Music"

Pity the takeownership hack only works in vista?