Velocity Reviews

-   -   laptop computer in check-in baggage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t658713-laptop-computer-in-check-in-baggage.html)

Fulio Open 01-09-2009 10:48 PM

laptop computer in check-in baggage

I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.

I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
freeze.

Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
fulio pen

The hook 01-09-2009 11:15 PM

Re: laptop computer in check-in baggage

Fulio Open <fuliopen@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>
> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
> freeze.
>
> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
> fulio pen

Cargo holds 'seldom' go below freezing and will hover around cabin
temperature but that will depend on the surrounding temperature on the
ground and in the air - understanding that cabin crew do have some control
given all airlines have to make provisions for 'perishable goods' generally,
and that could even include the likes of 'bloods'.

Ask 'em next time you fly (not check-in, but cabin crew).

hook:
Scott of the Antarctic apparently died not from the cold but from
starvation - the solder on the tins decomposed because of the cold rendering
the food inedible.

--
hook

Mike Easter 01-09-2009 11:20 PM

Fulio Open wrote:
> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>
> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
> freeze.

Baggage compartment areas are not subjected to the extremes of
temperatures at flight altitude, just colder than the pax compartment.

That's not your bigger problem.

Your problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are
sometimes referred to disparagingly as 'baggage apes' because of the way
some of them throw bags around indelicately.

Another problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are not
only going to be opening your checked bag to inspect it, but also have a
significantly less than perfect record about not taking things from
bags -- or rather, some types of things somehow disappear from checked
bags

A laptop is considered 'fragile' in the environment of baggage handling,
and it is also a very prime target for theft.

Here's a website with advice on this very subject
http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage.htm Keep the laptop with your
carry-on baggage - Laptops are relatively fragile, as well as being an
attractive target for theft. Keeping it with you on the plane is
preferable to packing it in your checked luggage.

.... then the article goes on to tell you about all of the problems
encountered with carrying it on.

The article talks about compensation, but the compensation is based on
'lost' baggage. I don't know what the results would be of someone
reporting that laptop had been stoled from a checked bag. I would think
the airline might say, "Oh, really?"

You have no proof that you put a laptop into your checked bag.

--
Mike Easter

richard 01-10-2009 12:05 AM

Re: laptop computer in check-in baggage

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:20:55 -0800, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid>
wrote:

>Fulio Open wrote:
>> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
>> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
>> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>>
>> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
>> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
>> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
>> freeze.

>Baggage compartment areas are not subjected to the extremes of
>temperatures at flight altitude, just colder than the pax compartment.
>
>That's not your bigger problem.
>
>Your problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are
>sometimes referred to disparagingly as 'baggage apes' because of the way
>some of them throw bags around indelicately.
>
>Another problem is that baggage is handled by human beings which are not
>only going to be opening your checked bag to inspect it, but also have a
>significantly less than perfect record about not taking things from
>bags -- or rather, some types of things somehow disappear from checked
>bags
>
>A laptop is considered 'fragile' in the environment of baggage handling,
>and it is also a very prime target for theft.
>
>Here's a website with advice on this very subject
>http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage.htm Keep the laptop with your
>carry-on baggage - Laptops are relatively fragile, as well as being an
>attractive target for theft. Keeping it with you on the plane is
>preferable to packing it in your checked luggage.
>
>... then the article goes on to tell you about all of the problems
>encountered with carrying it on.
>
>The article talks about compensation, but the compensation is based on
>'lost' baggage. I don't know what the results would be of someone
>reporting that laptop had been stoled from a checked bag. I would think
>the airline might say, "Oh, really?"
>
>You have no proof that you put a laptop into your checked bag.

And some TSA people consider a laptop a valuable tool for terrorists.
Since the TSA take over, I've been in 4 airports. Only 1 looked at
mine and did a "bacterial agent swab test" on it.

Old Gringo 01-10-2009 12:53 AM

Re: laptop computer in check-in baggage

On Or About This Time And Date In History, Fulio Open Stumbled Over
To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>
> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
> freeze.
>
> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
> fulio pen

If the baggage compartment ride won't kill your dog, why should it
damage your computer?

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Charlie 01-10-2009 01:18 AM

"Old Gringo" <NoEmail@ThisOldHouse.Con> wrote in message
> On Or About This Time And Date In History, Fulio Open Stumbled Over To The
> Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
>> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
>> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
>> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>>
>> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
>> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
>> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
>> freeze.
>>
>> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
>> fulio pen

> If the baggage compartment ride won't kill your dog, why should it damage
> your computer?
>
> --
> Old Gringo
> Just West Of Nowhere
> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.comm

The dog will tolerate a lot more bouncing around than your hard drive.

BTW, the last time we moved and had the dog shipping handled by our vet
there were signinicant delays until the weather was more moderate. This was
st the high side of the temp not the low side. The crew may not have as much
control on the cargo hold tem as you would like.

Carry the laptop on. Get one of the new carrying cases designed for easy
inspection. You and the laptop will both be happier.

Charlie

VanguardLH 01-10-2009 03:20 AM

Old Gringo wrote:

> On Or About This Time And Date In History, Fulio Open Stumbled Over
> To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
>> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
>> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
>> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>>
>> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
>> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
>> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
>> freeze.
>>
>> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
>> fulio pen

> If the baggage compartment ride won't kill your dog, why should it
> damage your computer?

The dog will heal.
They aren't interesting in losing the job with obvious damage.
They don't want to pay out on the insurance or a lawsuit.
Animals are not stored in the baggage hold area.
Animals go into an area that is pressurized and temperature controlled.
Animals are not subjected to being buried under tons of other baggage.
There are special provisions for handling of animal cargo.
Your baggage is crushable and piled atop each other.
Animal cages are not piled atop each other.
Animal cages are a lot stronger than your baggage.

The OP never mentioned that the baggage used to transport his laptop
will be on the bottom of an animal cargo cage. If true, the OP's main
concern would be damage from the animal puking, shitting, or ****ing on
his laptop.

VanguardLH 01-10-2009 03:20 AM

Fulio Open wrote:

> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>
> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
> freeze.
>
> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
> fulio pen

Who gives a damn about the temperatures. Have you ever bothered to
watch how the baggage handlers actually "handle" the baggage? You had
better have the entire suitcase filled with bubble wrap around the
laptop along with inflexible steel plates to prevent bending. So are
you using a non-crushable steel case and foam padded inserts designed
specifically just to transport your laptop all by itself inside the
case? Seems a pretty expensive solution to you safeguarding your own
laptop as carry-on luggage (and actually carrying it with you rather
than everyone else pelt it as they toss their non-destructive carry-on
bags atop of your in the overhead storage bins).

If you're looking for spare laptop parts, you're on your way. Of
course, the moniker you chose probably explains the dumb question.
Foolio-You-Too.

Centre Parting 01-10-2009 10:44 AM

Re: laptop computer in check-in baggage

Anyone who allows their laptop into the hands of baggage handlers is asking
for it.
They'll use any means to get into bags and remove anything of salable value
from them.
They work in teams of 'bent crews'.
New baggage handlers are asked whether they want to join the straight or
bent crew.

Scribner 01-10-2009 10:48 AM

Re: laptop computer in check-in baggage

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:44:23 -0000, "Centre Parting"
<nokia.account@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Anyone who allows their laptop into the hands of baggage handlers is asking
>for it.
>They'll use any means to get into bags and remove anything of salable value
>from them.
>They work in teams of 'bent crews'.
>New baggage handlers are asked whether they want to join the straight or
>bent crew.
>
>Fulio Open wrote:
>> I will travel by air with a laptop computer, and for some reason
>> prefer to put it inside the check-in baggage. The airlines doesn't
>> care, but says it is not responsible for any problem.
>>
>> I know the check-in bag will experience freezing temperature in the
>> baggage cabin. The flight time will be more than 10hours. I like to
>> know whether or not there is risk for the computerto be damaged by the
>> freeze.
>>
>> Thanks for your information and expertise on this matter.
>> fulio pen

A couple of months ago, they busted a bunch of TSA agents at LAX.