Velocity Reviews

-   -   domain controller (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t658366-domain-controller.html)

scott 01-20-2004 02:33 PM

domain controller

Am I correct in saying that there is no backup domain
controller(s) in a Native Windows 2000 or 2003 domain? I
mean is, in NT there were backup domain controllers and
what I believe is called a primary domain controller.
With Active Directory, I thought all domain controllers
replicate Active Directory so there really aren't any
backup DCs. Am I safe in saying this?

Thanks!

MSGuru 01-20-2004 02:54 PM

Re: domain controller

You are not safe if you are lving on earth.

TEST MESSAGE.

scott 01-20-2004 03:31 PM

Re: domain controller

that doesn't answer the question.

01-20-2004 03:37 PM

Re: domain controller

Correct, there's no BDCs in a native windows 2000 or 2003 domain.

i Forgot 01-20-2004 05:41 PM

Re: domain controller

Oh damn, that piece of information just filled up my hard disk and made me
forget how to subnet!

Sam 01-22-2004 05:08 AM

Re: domain controller

In either natvie mode or mixed mode there are no PDC'S or
BDC'S if W2K Server is the domain controller.

01-23-2004 07:20 PM

Re: domain controller

You better check on that... In mixed mode you still have
BDC's if you used NT 4.0 as another domain controller.

Wolfgang 01-26-2004 03:52 PM

domain controller

Yes there is now no primary or backup domain controllers
in 2000 or 2003 as the AD is a live database, with
replication running to ensure updates to each Domain
controller in the network, But there a roles that each
server has ie: global catalog,BDC emulator and others
that should asigned to different controller for
performance and recovery issues.

Darrick West 02-03-2004 08:14 PM

Re: domain controller

He explicitly asked about a W2K, or W2K3 *native* mode domain - that means
no pre-Windows 2000 OSes on the network.