Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   MCSA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f50-mcsa.html)
-   -   How long should it take for MCSE exams? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t657775-how-long-should-it-take-for-mcse-exams.html)

Rob W 09-19-2003 07:51 PM

How long should it take for MCSE exams?
 
I am just wondering how long it should take as far as study time, on average for the MCSE exams?

I took and passed my Network+ exam about a month and a half after I started studying for it. I am basically studying after work for about 2 1/2 hours a day 4 days a week. I thought that I was pretty damn smart with computing. I am finding though, that where Comptia is direct with their questions, ex: "What layer of the OSI model is responsible for encryption?", Microsoft spends a whole paragraph with the scenario before you even get to what they want to know. I am not giving up, but I have been working on 20-715 for about 2 months, and just now do I feel brave enough to take the exam. I am wondering if I am just a moron, or is this stuff really as hard I am thinking it is. It does not help any that I read these posts of dude who are starting on a exam one week and have passed it a week later.

--
Rob Wilson, N+



Laura A. Robinson 09-19-2003 09:01 PM

Re: How long should it take for MCSE exams?
 
circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:51:31 -0400, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rob W (nospam@myinbox.com) said,
> I took and passed my Network+ exam about a month and a half after I started studying for it.


Which would say to me that you put good study into it.

> I am basically studying after work for about 2 1/2 hours a day 4 days a week.


See above.

> I thought that I was pretty damn smart with computing.


Sounds good to me.

> I am finding though, that where Comptia is direct with their questions, ex: "What layer of the OSI model is responsible for encryption?",


That's in some ways the nature of the material.

> Microsoft spends a whole paragraph with the scenario before you even get to what they want to know.


That's what it's like in real life. You have to know how to separate
the wheat from the chaff, and if nothing else, the exam question
format MS uses at least gets you thinking in that direction.

> I am not giving up, but I have been working on 20-715 for about 2 months, and just now do I feel brave enough to take the exam.


Excellent; as I said, that would say to me that you have been
actually *learning* instead of *memorizing*.

> I am wondering if I am just a moron, or is this stuff really as hard I am thinking it is.


You aren't, and it is, particularly if you're new to it.

> It does not help any that I read these posts of dude who are starting on a exam one week and have passed it a week later.


And those people generally can't troubleshoot their way out of a
paper bag, and employers with a clue don't hire them.

Don't stress it. Do it at your own pace. For me, I'd be leery of
hiring somebody who did the exams at a breakneck pace without putting
in the groundwork. I'd be *much* more inclined to hire somebody who
really learned how the stuff works rather than memorizing test
questions.

Laura

--
I find that the further I go back, the better things were, whether
they happened or not.
-Mark Twain

Dragon 09-19-2003 09:57 PM

Re: How long should it take for MCSE exams?
 
To add to Laura's comments,,, Study for Pro and Server exams and count on
spending lots of time on practice and study. It For these two exams I would
guess about 3 months. After that you might be able to push 1 exam a month if
you count on not having any life during that period.

Good Luck.

"Laura A. Robinson" <firstinitiallastname@technologist.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.19d538a42989d0d198a935@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> circa Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:51:31 -0400, in
> microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rob W (nospam@myinbox.com) said,
> > I took and passed my Network+ exam about a month and a half after I

started studying for it.
>
> Which would say to me that you put good study into it.
>
> > I am basically studying after work for about 2 1/2 hours a day 4 days a

week.
>
> See above.
>
> > I thought that I was pretty damn smart with computing.

>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> > I am finding though, that where Comptia is direct with their questions,

ex: "What layer of the OSI model is responsible for encryption?",
>
> That's in some ways the nature of the material.
>
> > Microsoft spends a whole paragraph with the scenario before you even get

to what they want to know.
>
> That's what it's like in real life. You have to know how to separate
> the wheat from the chaff, and if nothing else, the exam question
> format MS uses at least gets you thinking in that direction.
>
> > I am not giving up, but I have been working on 20-715 for about 2

months, and just now do I feel brave enough to take the exam.
>
> Excellent; as I said, that would say to me that you have been
> actually *learning* instead of *memorizing*.
>
> > I am wondering if I am just a moron, or is this stuff really as hard I

am thinking it is.
>
> You aren't, and it is, particularly if you're new to it.
>
> > It does not help any that I read these posts of dude who are starting on

a exam one week and have passed it a week later.
>
> And those people generally can't troubleshoot their way out of a
> paper bag, and employers with a clue don't hire them.
>
> Don't stress it. Do it at your own pace. For me, I'd be leery of
> hiring somebody who did the exams at a breakneck pace without putting
> in the groundwork. I'd be *much* more inclined to hire somebody who
> really learned how the stuff works rather than memorizing test
> questions.
>
> Laura
>
> --
> I find that the further I go back, the better things were, whether
> they happened or not.
> -Mark Twain




Rob 09-21-2003 02:37 PM

Re: How long should it take for MCSE exams?
 



Thanks Laura, and Dragon.

Your comments really put things in perspective. I appreciate you
taking the time to respond.

Thanks.

Rob.


Laura A. Robinson 09-22-2003 04:05 PM

Re: How long should it take for MCSE exams?
 
circa Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:23:03 -0500, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Adam Embrey (jaembrey@knology.net)
said,
> Did I get too fuzzy of a feeling passing the pro test with so little effort?
> I have about 3 1/2 years of experience as an administrator of a small 500
> user AD forest with about 15 servers that I manage.
>

The key there is that you already are in the field and have the
experience. That's a whole different ballgame than somebody just
starting out.

Laura
--
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
-Oscar Wilde


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.