Velocity Reviews

-   -   70-215 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t657348-70-215-a.html)

RAY 07-08-2003 11:48 AM

70-215

hi all

am considering taking the 70-215 test soon, but i feel that my tcp ip
knowledge isnt going to cut the grade, i seem to faulter with the subnetting
side of things

does any one know of the best simplest way of determing the
valid host ranges, invalid addresses etc

or any links to sites

would greatly appreciate it

thanks in advance!

Kian Wah, Lai 07-08-2003 12:36 PM

Re: 70-215

i believe you can download subnetting calc
try
www.download.com

Jon 07-08-2003 06:07 PM

Re: 70-215

This may help,

TCP/IP Binary Math Notes

The most important thing to remember is 2

An IP address is 32 bits long composed of four 8-bit
fields.
The decimal number in each field ranges from 0-255.

Binary is a Base2 system VS. Decimal is a Base10 system.
This means that all binary numbers can be expressed as 2n.
Which means each 8-bit field matches this chart:
128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20
Use this chart to convert number between decimal and
binary.
Example:
What is the binary value of 153?
128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1
Or 128+16+8+1=153

Classes:
Class A addresses have the highest level bit (27) turned
off. So the address must be less than 128.
Class A range = 0-127

Class B addresses have the highest level bit (27) turned
on and the 2nd highest-level bit (26) turned off. So the
addresses will differ from Class A by the first 64 bytes.
Class B range = 128-191 (127+64=191)

Class C addresses have the highest level bit (27) and the
2nd highest-level bit (26) turned on and the 3rd highest-
level bit (25) turned off. So the addresses will differ
from Class B by the first 32 bytes.
Class C range = 192-223 (191+32=223)

# Of networks and hosts:
Points to remember
- The 0. and 127. networks are used for loopback and
must be subtracted from the Class A networks.
- Each 8-bit field has a maximum value of 255, but
to avoid the possibility of all 1’s or all 0’s subtract 2
when computing the number of networks and hosts.

Class A
Net: 0-127= 128-2= 126 networks
Hosts: 253x253x253=16 million
Class B
Net: 128-191=64 (different first bytes) x253=16,000
networks
Hosts: 253x253=64,000 hosts
Class C
Net: 32 (different first bytes) x253x253=2 million
Hosts: 253 hosts

Zenner 07-09-2003 01:02 AM

Re: 70-215

The only way to get good at subnetting is to do it. There are many subnet
tutorials on the internet. Use your browser to find them...input "subnet" or
"subnetting" tutorial or some thing like that ...one of them is bound to
explain things in a style you can understand. There are many ways to teach
the same subject, everyone doesn't learn the same way.

licknlabia 07-10-2003 02:18 AM

Re: 70-215

www.learntosubnet.com

Dee 07-12-2003 06:19 AM