Velocity Reviews

-   -   Shared Permissions on NTFS Partitions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t656787-shared-permissions-on-ntfs-partitions.html)

Gloria 04-03-2007 02:40 PM

Shared Permissions on NTFS Partitions

I'm studying for my MCDST. I'm using the self paced training kit written by
Walter Glenn & Tony Northrup. I am confused with the Table on page 5-49
Calculating Effective Permissions for Shared Folders. Is there a place
online that I can further my understanding about permissions & shared
folders? How important is this for a MCDST?
Thanks in advance

RemoteShark 04-03-2007 04:04 PM

RE: Shared Permissions on NTFS Partitions

I had the same problem when I first started. I found out that actually
setting up 2 computers and setting Share & NTFS permissions to be a great
help. Learning by doing.

I also found out that CBTnuggets.com videos were very good too and they take
you through a similar situation of share, advanced share, NTFS, file and
folder permissions. Pretty much the basics in a funny and easy to listen &
watch video, which also brought me to saying 'Ahhaa! now I get it' when I
completed the video. Then I did a similar lab that was on the video and I
understood it even more. Now I have a mental diagram of the Share/NTFS
Permissions for the exam.

Another good source is the ExamCram2 Book for 70-272 which also goes through
it in more detail and I found some tips in many sources to build on the
knowledge of Permissions.

The questions on the test are not that difficult, once you keep at it. The
first couple of times you go over it, may seem like Chinese, but stick with
it. Leave it and come back to it, if it is bothering you. If you know someone
who is in IT, maybe they can help or go over it with you. It is vital that
you understand the basics of it, otherwise you will feel caught out on the
exam. If you study the ones in the MS Press Book and MeasureUP Readiness
Tests, you should have what is needed to pass. Just do what is asked, and you
will be fine.

I also found out that making notes of the material in your own words,
diagrams helps also to figure out the root of it all.

We will all love you here in the MCDST Newsgroup, for trying to stick with it.

RemoteShark

Michael D. Alligood 04-03-2007 05:48 PM

Re: Shared Permissions on NTFS Partitions

Gloria. I blogged this not too long ago, read
http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/th...ies/index.html
and let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor

http://www.yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

CertGuard Member
The Stronghold for Excellence in I.T. Certification
http://www.certguard.com

--

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

The Classroom Blog

www.CertGuard.com

catwalker63 04-03-2007 10:58 PM

Re: Shared Permissions on NTFS Partitions

Gloria piffled away vaguely:

> I'm studying for my MCDST. I'm using the self paced training kit written by
> Walter Glenn & Tony Northrup. I am confused with the Table on page 5-49
> Calculating Effective Permissions for Shared Folders. Is there a place
> online that I can further my understanding about permissions & shared
> folders? How important is this for a MCDST?
> Thanks in advance

Try it out and keep working at it and it will suddenly click. One way
is to make two columns and label one NTFS and the other Share. Put the
appropriate permissions for the user and each group they belong to in
the appropriate column. For NTFS, the effective permission is the LEAST
restrictive of all for the user and all of the groups unless there is an
explicit deny, so write that down at the bottom of the column. Same for
Share permissions. Now, look at the permissions at the bottom of each
column and compare them. The effective permissions over the network are
the MOST restrictive permissions between Share and NTFS.

In practice, setup the share as open to all Authenticated Users for the
Share permissions and then set your actual restrictions with NTFS.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

BW64 04-05-2007 02:32 PM

Re: Shared Permissions on NTFS Partitions

Hi catwalker

I have a little understanding of the effective permission, deny, inheritance
(parent and child folders etc). I will have to sit down and read over it so
it can click in my brain some more. I understand that information that are
in the IT books are like foreign language but once you sit down, relax
yourself and open your mind you will get the concept. I'm finding out I must
have patience with myself because I now I can't get this stuff overnight. I
want to learn and know it so badly. So I can go and take the exam and pass
it.
--
Bruce Wms