Velocity Reviews

-   -   70-271 & 70-272 at once? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t656615-70-271-and-70-272-at-once.html)

soulwithnofootprint 02-13-2007 03:49 AM

70-271 & 70-272 at once?

Do people typically schedule both exams for the same day? Or should I study
for and write 271 before tackling 272?

I'm new to certification, and have to admit am a wee bit terrified of the
exams. I finished the online classroom course for 271, but after trying a
couple of practice tests with less than stellar grades, I got myself the
Press book training kit. For whatever reason, this seems to be working
better for me. I'm sure I'll feel more confident once I've absorbed the
pages and pages of information in front of me... It's just a little
daunting, but I'm determined to see it through.

Heather

Michael D. Alligood 02-13-2007 04:30 AM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

Sitting both exams back to back is a preference. I chose not to for the
simple fact that I hate just sitting there. I took them a week apart.
The only exam I took back to back was my A+ many moons ago.

Take a look at my blog below, and browse the MCDST studies category. You
have tons of resources to help you succeed; including this newsgroup.
Feel free to email with specific questions or post here for additional
opinions. Good luck.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

Andy Van Royen 02-13-2007 11:42 AM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

i did both exams at once.. only 1 hour in between.. the reason is that the
content of both exams hangs closely together.. (and also i wanted to get rid
of the stress asap!). and yes, i passed with a score of more than 800..
just set your mind to 0.. and only think of passing those exams..

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Sitting both exams back to back is a preference. I chose not to for the
> simple fact that I hate just sitting there. I took them a week apart.
> The only exam I took back to back was my A+ many moons ago.
>
> Take a look at my blog below, and browse the MCDST studies category. You
> have tons of resources to help you succeed; including this newsgroup.
> Feel free to email with specific questions or post here for additional
> opinions. Good luck.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "soulwithnofootprint" <soulwithnofootprint@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>
> > Do people typically schedule both exams for the same day? Or should I study
> > for and write 271 before tackling 272?
> >
> > I'm new to certification, and have to admit am a wee bit terrified of the
> > exams. I finished the online classroom course for 271, but after trying a
> > couple of practice tests with less than stellar grades, I got myself the
> > Press book training kit. For whatever reason, this seems to be working
> > better for me. I'm sure I'll feel more confident once I've absorbed the
> > pages and pages of information in front of me... It's just a little
> > daunting, but I'm determined to see it through.
> >
> > Heather

02-14-2007 05:10 AM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

I got the press book for 272 and studied for it and took it on a Wednesday
and took the 271 on a Friday and passed them both with good scores. The 271
was harder for me but I think that was because I was weaker in the
troubleshooting area and stronger in networking. I took an 8 hour class for
271 a 20 hour class for 272, studied using the class textbook for 271 and
bought the 272 Ms press book. I would get the 272 press book and read it
cover to cover ( at least on stuff that you don't already have mastered) and
then compare the 271 material and study what is different. It seems to me
that the big difference was the extent of the troubleshooting on 271 was
greater and 272 requires a more extensive networking knowledge.
as A final note I take classes at a new Horizons Computer Learning center
and heard a story of a guy who studied for 272 and accidentally signed up
for the 271 test and passed! That was what convinced me to just jump in and
take the 271 test two days after taking 272. However, My understanding is
that 272 is the harder of the two exams so I would take it first. If you
pass it you are in good shape for the 271. if you fail 271, then 272 is
going to be really intimidating. That was my philosophy anyway....
One last thing...use the preparation material in the back of the MS press
book. I discovered it to be the best exam prep material as far as being
realistic in difficulty and length. It was closer to the actual exam than
anything else I took.
Good luck
Michael

soulwithnofootprint 02-14-2007 05:48 AM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

Thank you all for the advice. It's good to hear from people who've survived
the material and passed the exams. I'm finding the MS Press book quite
helpful for 271 so far, and am already doing better on the practice
questions. One thing I'm learning is to read the question very carefully and
take in all the information before jumping on an answer.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I feel better already!

Mark 02-15-2007 09:33 PM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

Hi Heather

I took mine a month apart, so I had a month to study for both, the study
material I got was the two self paced training kits for DST and the
transcender practice exams, if you can get them, just learn the flash cards
(350) off by hart (they make you answer the question properly not multiple
choice until you do the practice exams) .take the test exams, before I
studied I got 30% after I studied and did the flash cards I was just getting
70% and in the exam I got 80%

the second one is supposed to be easier than the first but don't rest on
your laurels

hope this helps

Mark

SteveC33603 02-16-2007 08:17 PM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

I just completed both of these exams. I think it's possible to take them
back to back but personally I think taking them a week apart is the way
to go. Start with 70-271 and then work on 70-272. 70-272 requires the
knowledge from 70-271 in my opinion.

--
SteveC33603

Matt Baack 02-22-2007 04:00 AM

RE: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

I just took both tests today and passed. I must say I'm not really happy
about the time I wasted studying. I did not read anything for 271 everyone I
work with told me that since I have taken and passed the 270 the 271 would be
easy. It was but you really need to know share and NTFS permissions KNOW
them. For the 272 test I read the MS press book and I think that I could have
passed with out using that book. Not a lot of what I read was covered on the
test. But I can't say what will be on somebody else test. Most of the
questions the test covered I knew just because of working in IT for so long.
Know domain and workgroup behavior and like I said permissions. I did not
have anything over Word or Excel. Just Outlook and account setup and how
Outlook functions when it used in conjunction with Exchange. Questions about
printer devices and drivers, USB and hubs. Know you hardware. And PDA's
issues they have. Some other things are when you use "unattend.txt" and
"winnt.sif" and I was asked a few questions about XP home and it does not
allow logging in to a domain. I don't see myself taking more then one test at
a time because the rest of them are not going to be easy. 290 and 291 here I
come. Here is what I like to do for tests. Get the list of stuff that each
covers. And check off what you know cold and then go from there. If you do
that you should have no trouble at all. Even if my test did not cover it you
are still expected to know it. And if you work in IT you will use it. Hope
this helps I know I just kinda rambled.
Good Luck to ya.
--
Matt Baack
A+, MCP, and MCDST

Keith Chilton 02-22-2007 04:12 AM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

NDA Violation?

Michael D. Alligood 02-22-2007 04:56 AM

Re: 70-271 & 70-272 at once?

It is unclear right now to be honest. Even in Redmond. I have been
talking to Trika and Keith Loeber (Certification Program Manager) about
what the NDA actually covers. We are scheduled to talk more about it in
the upcoming weeks. I will post it on my blog and newsgroups when I find
something out. At this point, I do not see anything Matt shared that you
could not already find on the preparation guide for the 2 exams. He did
not, "disclose, publish, reproduce, or transmit this exam, in whole or
in part, in any form or by any means, verbal or written, electronic or
mechanical, for any purpose." He just shared his experience without
details specific questions on the exam. See the slippery slope. More to
come...

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,