Velocity Reviews

-   -   Highlighting text (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t65617-highlighting-text.html)

JemPower 10-31-2003 08:57 AM

Highlighting text

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a VERY simple text editing page, using a textbox that
the user can type, and some buttons to make the selected text bold, italic,
underline, etc, etc.

I've seen a few example that use the DIV and CONTENTEDITABLE, and the
"ExecCommand" however I have 2 problems with this. Firstly, whilst it
works, the VS.NET IDE underlines this words as an invalid command. The
second problem (and more serious), is that some of our customers are Mac
users, and this doesn't work at all.

Therefore, I thought if I could revert to standard controls, it should be
compatable with PC and Mac.

However I'm stuck at the first hurdle, I simply can't see anywhere that I
can modify what text is highlighted in the textbox!!

Does anyone have any ideas over this, it's really driving me mad...!

TIA

Natty Gur 11-02-2003 04:34 PM

Re: Highlighting text

Hi,

You can achieve it (and much more) using TextRange select method.
(Client side DHTML)

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261