Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Unable to connect tospecified database (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t656112-unable-to-connect-tospecified-database.html)

Darth Invidious 05-28-2006 07:44 PM

"Unable to connect tospecified database

Hello, I am currently experiencing a very strange problem with the readiness
review suits for exams 271 and 272.

I recently installed them on my new notebook but everytime I try to launch
the application I receive the following message: "Unable to connect to
specified database".

The really strange thing is that I have no problems when using the
applications on my desktop PC. Both computers are running Windows XP Media
Centre Edition 2005.

Has anybody encountered this problem or have any advice they can offer?

Thanks in advance.

Luke 05-28-2006 10:47 PM

RE: "Unable to connect tospecified database

Are you having any other connectivity issues with the laptop ? Is the laptop
configured with a static address or do you have a DHCP server on your network
?

Darth Invidious 05-29-2006 09:30 AM

RE: "Unable to connect tospecified database

Both computers connect through a Netgear DG834PN with DHCP enabled, and there
are no connectivity issues.

I thought the Readiness Review Suite was accessed directly from the local
drive anyway...

Syd 05-30-2006 04:05 AM

Re: "Unable to connect tospecified database

"Darth Invidious" <DarthInvidious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8267C18D-C4EA-470D-BC03-30EA2D04593D@microsoft.com...
> Both computers connect through a Netgear DG834PN with DHCP enabled, and
> there
> are no connectivity issues.
>
> I thought the Readiness Review Suite was accessed directly from the local
> drive anyway...

Yes it is. It is not a problem of connectivity in that sense. It is a
problem of the 'engine' (so called) connecting with the specific file of the
specific exam.

I'd suggest a possible 'radical' solution. Uninstall both, engine and exam
file. Re-install them and look where you install them.

Darth Invidious 05-30-2006 06:01 PM

Re: "Unable to connect tospecified database

Thanks Syd. I've unsinstalled and re-installed on several occassions now
(both to the default location and another location on the disk) and each case
I'm still "unable to connect to specified database".

It certainly works on my Desktop PC but not the notebook.

Syd 05-30-2006 09:33 PM

message news:B6679FBD-346A-4DE3-86D5-E95720E17BF6@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Syd. I've unsinstalled and re-installed on several occassions now
> (both to the default location and another location on the disk) and each
> case
> I'm still "unable to connect to specified database".
>
> It certainly works on my Desktop PC but not the notebook.

hmmm... it seems like something needed is missing. (ram?) Is there an help
feature? Have you checked the possible requirements? Have you reinstalled
both files? 'Engine' and specific exam?

Henrik Johansson 06-07-2006 01:48 PM

Re: "Unable to connect tospecified database

I had similar problem with readiness review for 70-270.
The readiness review nead to be patched because of some security patch in
Windows is blocking it from work as expected.
It has been to long ago to remember exactly how/where to find it, but a
starting point should be http://www.microsoft.com/mspress

"Darth Invidious" <DarthInvidious@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i
meddelandet news:C051166F-CEDF-47E5-A6FC-EEBA58F2DA59@microsoft.com...