Velocity Reviews

-   -   atten: Lasher (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t655942-atten-lasher.html)

Simon Butler 01-15-2006 10:36 AM

atten: Lasher

hey mate,
you seem to know what you're on about and I want to ask, I purchased the
MicrosoftPress MCDST 70-271 self-paced study guide. And I've a few years
experience in supporting XP in various small-mid companies.

the MessureUp practise exams that come on a CD with the book cover a (vast)
number of topics not even remotely covered in the book. While I do enjoy the
questions challenging me, as they open up different areas of XP that I might
not have explored while preparing for the exam (because, well, they're not
in the study guide).

My question is are the practise exams that come with the book harder that
the actual exam I'll sit with microsoft?

Thanks
Simon

Lasher 01-15-2006 09:07 PM

Re: atten: Lasher

"Simon Butler" <sbutler@wideband.net.au> wrote in

> hey mate,
> you seem to know what you're on about and I want to ask, I purchased
> the MicrosoftPress MCDST 70-271 self-paced study guide. And I've a few
> years experience in supporting XP in various small-mid companies.
>
> the MessureUp practise exams that come on a CD with the book cover a
> (vast) number of topics not even remotely covered in the book. While I
> do enjoy the questions challenging me, as they open up different areas
> of XP that I might not have explored while preparing for the exam
> (because, well, they're not in the study guide).
>
> My question is are the practise exams that come with the book harder
> that the actual exam I'll sit with microsoft?
>
> Thanks
> Simon

If you actually compare the questions that are provided in the MS Press
Book 70-271 to the questions that MeasureUp asks, most of them are the
exact same question. The questions where you have to organize the
answer in the procedure as to how the process/fix/method works is not a
standard question type that Microsoft would ask.

What I've told people in the past is that if you are passing the
MeasureUp questions with at least a 90% then you should do just fine on
the test. The MeasureUp questions were designed to give you an idea of
how well you know the material in the book.

However, if you look at the MS Learning site, it does state that the 70-
271 takes from the 70-272 exam in one or two places. This is mainly
because MS would like you to participate in the Microsoft Official
Curriculum.

What I found to be questions that were on the same level of difficulty
were the questions that www.selftestsoftware.com provided, which is the
other MS Approved Practice exam provider.

But to answer your question, the questions are difficult in a completely
different way. The questions that they ask you on the exam are
difficult, which is a given, however they were easier than the MeasureUp
questions. How, I can't really say without violating the NDA.

Good luck to you and if you have any other questions, please feel free
to ask.

--
Lasher
MCNGP 110010