Velocity Reviews

-   -   Take both exams on same day? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t655364-take-both-exams-on-same-day.html)

Kevin Cossio 11-29-2004 03:57 PM

Take both exams on same day?

I am planning on studying for the mcdst on my own.

Are the official microsoft press books the best choice for
self-study?

Also, should I study for both exams at the same time and
take both on the same day, or take one and then the other?

If one and then the other, would you recommend 271 or 272
first?

Thanks,
Kevin

Wayne McGlinn 11-29-2004 10:11 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

MS Press books are ok, but you're better off making sure you understand the
objectives at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.asp and
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.asp . Do a lot of hands-on
with XP and get a thorough understanding of what makes it tick, try
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...g_windows.mspx
as a good reference point for any area you're not sure about.
As for taking both exams in one day, have you sat any MS Exams before? If
so, you know they can be draining. You also have the option of doing one
exam in the morning and then, if you feel confident, ask the test centre to
register and download the second exam in the afternoon. As for the order of
the exams, which area do you feel confident in? Operating System or
Supporting Applications?

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz

thunder 11-30-2004 10:41 AM

Take both exams on same day?

Ihave just passed the both exams. Take the 271 exam first
and then the 272. I found that you need a good
understanding of exam 271 to be able to pass the second
one. I found the 272 exam tough as compared to 271.

all the best

Kevin Cossio 11-30-2004 04:11 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

I have not taken any MS exams before. However, I have over
a year experience administering a 2k domain at work in a
mixed (2k / XP) environment. I've installed 2000 and XP
(home and pro) many many times, no unattended
installations though. I have been using XP (home and pro)
since it came out on a daily basis, and I consider myself
a knowledgeable user. I'm comfortable editing the
registry, troubleshooting network problems. I have done
alot of programming in visual basic 6 and .net. I have
worked with group policy and local security policies. I
deal with end user problems daily "my printer is'nt
working", "word is doing wierd things", "how do i...",
etc...

I intend on working on MCSA and MCSE, however, since I
have never taken any ms exams before, I decided to start
on this cert since it only takes 2 exams to attain.

I am leaning toward doing 271 first then 272 after and not
take the tests on the same day.

Has anyone tried the MS e-learning
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/elearning.asp online
courses? Are they worth the $350?

Thanks for the replies!
Kevin C.

p/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx

Wayne McGlinn 12-01-2004 03:56 AM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

Never tried E-Learning, only Instructor led and self study, good luck!

Wayne

Brighton Rocks 12-01-2004 02:43 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

Obviously neither helped much

BuyMoreParts 12-01-2004 04:40 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

I agree with "thunder" -- do the 271 exam first since it establishes some
fundamentals that will be helpful in 272. Plus, there is come overlap
between the two in areas such as file system security and desktop settings.
For 271, find a box you can beat up by doing repeated installs (sysprep,
winnt, CD-based with winnt.sif) and that you can break for troubleshooting
(Recovery console, last known good, etc.). Stay away from Service Pack 2
since it is not included in the exam objectives yet but does make some core
changes to the OS and dialog boxes. Your background supporting Win2K boxes
will be very helpful in completing this exam

272 may seem a little more foreign if you do not use Office 2003 or
Outlook/Outlook Express in your company. I found you will have to review
the material a little more carefully to find all the ways that Microsoft
"recommends" for supporting these products and the basic Windows desktop.

Good luck!

T-Bone 12-01-2004 05:48 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

"Brighton Pox" <BrightonPox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Obviously neither helped much

Says the braindumper...

Brighton Rocks 12-02-2004 03:23 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

well really T-Bone...if you think about it (don't worry, the pain will
pass)...when you use braindumps and then resource the answers to confirm that
they are correct, it really isn't a bad thing! Or have you failed to look at
it that way?

T-Bone 12-02-2004 04:39 PM

Re: Take both exams on same day?

"Brighton Rocks" <BrightonRocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> well really T-Bone...if you think about it (don't worry, the pain will
> pass)...when you use braindumps and then resource the answers to confirm

that
> they are correct, it really isn't a bad thing! Or have you failed to look

at
> it that way?

No, but you have failed to look at it the correct way...

* The reason for braindump materials is for cheating. It allows people to
pass their exams by memorizing the test answers rather than knowing what
they are doing. *

..... That still applies whether you chose to use it that way or not. So if
you are just going to use it as you described, why not use a legitimate
practice exam rather than a dump?

By giving money to these assfsckers to get the exam questions, you are
encouraging them to continue allowing people to cheat. Thereby creating a
whole bunch of Microsoft "certified" idiots out there who don't have a clue
what they are doing. These people then try to get jobs using these
certifications. If they are found out before they are hired, the people they
work for soon realize that they are idiots. This devalues having a
certification, because now the company is no longer willing to pay extra for
a certification.

The questions are acquired by cheating. Using them for any reason is
cheating. If you feel any different I would encourage you to contact tctips
at microsoft and explain your story. Using your real address of course, and
don't hide behind some anonymous poster like you do here.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL
Hallelujah!... Holy sh*t!... Where's the tylenol?