Velocity Reviews

-   -   Real world troubleshooting problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t655339-real-world-troubleshooting-problem.html)

James T 11-05-2004 09:47 AM

Real world troubleshooting problem

OK here's a support problem I had yesterday.

A user reported having no task bar or desktop icons on
startup. Investigation confirmed that the problem wasn't
going away! I tried a repair installation of Windows (2000
Pro) to no avail.

I then searched microsoft support using terms like 'no
desktop' and found several articles reporting similar
symptoms, but none of the circumstances matched and the
solutions didn't help.

I then gave up and re-installed everything from an image
file previously created using Norton Ghost.

Problem solved (of course) but it took me several hours.
Would you have approached this problem differently? Did I
miss any more profitable lines of inquiry?

James
(Working and studying for MCDST)

RJG 11-21-2004 05:20 AM

Re: Real world troubleshooting problem

A corrupt profile can cause this to happen especially on a network