Velocity Reviews

-   -   what is? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t655329-what-is.html)

10-31-2004 01:47 AM

what is?

what is conventional, linear, adaptive format?

Jason 10-31-2004 04:27 AM

Re: what is?

Conventional linear format means you get 50 questions of all degrees of difficulty and your score is computed as a percentage.

Adaptive means the exam adapts to you based on the answers you give. If you get a question right, the next will be more difficult. As you answer more and more difficult questions, once you have answered a certain level of difficulty question range correctly, you have "passed". By the same token, if you are asked similar level questions repeatedly, it means you have not moved to the next level and will most likely fail. Bottom line means the test adapts (hence the word "adaptive") to the knowledge level of the user.

Have no fear though, Microsoft is not currently using adaptive testing methods. While I do not suppose to know how or why, my suspicion is that the adaptive testing schema had some performance metric flaws to it and is in process of being re-designed, so it may appear again. IN such a scenario, where there are both linear and adaptive testing, the examinee cannot specify one over the other...it's random.

Hope this helps.

Jason
MCSA, MCDST, MCP
Security+, Net+, A+

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08d001c4beeb$8a3752d0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> what is conventional, linear, adaptive format?

The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere 10-31-2004 09:40 AM

Re: what is?

sure as h*ll's their not in html though.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:27:58 -0400, "Jason" <scubaj2001@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> [...]

>means you get=20
>50 questions of all degrees of difficulty and your score is computed as =
>a=20
>percentage.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>Adaptive means the exam adapts =
>to you=20
>based on the answers you give.&nbsp; If you get a question right, the =
>next will=20
>be more difficult.&nbsp; As you answer more and more difficult =
>questions, once=20
>you have answered a certain level of difficulty question range =
>correctly, you=20
>have "passed".&nbsp; By the same token, if you are asked similar level =
>questions=20
>repeatedly, it means you have not moved to the next level and will most =
>likely=20
>fail.&nbsp; Bottom line means the test adapts (hence the word =
>"adaptive") to the=20
>knowledge level of the user.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>Have no fear though, Microsoft =
>is not=20
>currently using adaptive testing methods.&nbsp; While I do not suppose =
>to know=20
>how or why, my suspicion is that the adaptive testing schema had some=20
>performance metric flaws to it and is in process of being re-designed, =
>so it may=20
>appear again.&nbsp; IN such a scenario, where there are both linear and =
>adaptive=20
>testing, the examinee cannot specify one over the other...it's=20
>random.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D2>Hope this helps.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" color=3D#008040 =
>size=3D2><EM>Jason</EM></FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" color=3D#008040 size=3D2><EM>MCSA, =
>MCDST,=20
>MCP</EM></FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua" color=3D#008040 size=3D2><EM>Security+, =
>Net+,=20
>A+</EM></FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;</FONT><A=20
>href=3D"mailto:anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co m"><FONT face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2>anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com</FONT></A><FONT =
>face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2>&gt; wrote in message </FONT><A=20
>href=3D"news:08d001c4beeb$8a3752d0$a501280a@phx.g bl"><FONT face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2>news:08d001c4beeb$8a3752d0$a501280a@phx. gbl</FONT></A><FONT =
>face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; what is =
>conventional,=20
>linear, adaptive format?</FONT></BODY></HTML>

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3