Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCDST Equal to A+? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t655328-mcdst-equal-to-a.html)

Jack Barrett 10-30-2004 08:15 PM

MCDST Equal to A+?

I would like to start studying for the MCDST exams but I am wondering if A+
is equal to this.
Is the MCDST better or equal to A+?
Thanks,

Jack Barrett
My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Jason 10-30-2004 09:52 PM

Re: MCDST Equal to A+?

Jack,

MCDST qualifies you as a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. While knowledge of multiple Windows OS's is helpful (and in some cases, required), this is a MICROSOFT exam. It signifies that you know the Microsoft way of doing things.

The A+ exam is what we in the industry refer to as a "vendor neutral" exam. One particular OS is not favored over another. The A+ exam covers things like, installing motherboards, memory, hard drives, CD-Roms, etc. The core of A+ is hardware based. While there is also a software side to the fullA+ certification, the exam deals with neutral software installation issues. Subjects like preparing boot disks for Windows, Unix, Linux, and the like are covered.

The bottom line here, to answer your inherent question, both certifications are helpful to someone wanting to enter the industry. A+ shows you have a broad-based knowledge of concepts that apply to many computers, while MCDST shows you can provide desktop support to a predominantly Windows based clientelle. Good luck.

Jason
MCSA, MCDST, MCP
Security+, Net+, A+