Velocity Reviews

-   -   Where Do I Start? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t654833-where-do-i-start.html)

Rich 02-12-2004 06:04 PM

Where Do I Start?

I want to become microsoft cerified... whats the base
course...where do i start... someone told me MCDST... but
from reading some of these postings it seems that
everyone that is going for their MCDST already has their
MCP...and my vocational counselor really knows nothing
about this topic and is as if not more clueless than i
am...but i know that i cant take the MCPuntil i have a
certification behind me... where do i start?

Andy Ruth [MS] 02-12-2004 07:30 PM

Re: Where Do I Start?

That would depend on what your goal is. If you want to enter the IT
Professional job space, you first have to determine if you are interested in
developing applications, or supporting users and computers, or supporting
networks.

- if you are interested in developing applications, the MCAD is the way to
go.
- if you re interested in support end users and working on computer running
Windows XP, then MCDST is the way to go.
- if you are interested in supporting networks, then MCSA is the way to go.

If you have an end goal of designing ans supporting networks, but want to
get your foot in the door somewhere and gain experience, then I would
suggest MCDST is the way to start. There are more end user support jobs out
there than there are network support jobs, so you stand a better chance of
finding a job is you start there and build your skills.
-information on all of these is available from www.microsoft.com/learning.
- information on MCAD is avaialable at www.microsoft.com/mcad
- information on MCDST is available at www.microsoft.com/mcdst
-information of MCSA is available at www.microsoft.com/mcsa

If you want a fun way to get an idea of the skills and knowledge you need
for any of these, go try our assesments at www.microsoft.com/assessment.

--
Andy Ruth
Microsoft Learning

rights.

"Rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to become microsoft cerified... whats the base
> course...where do i start... someone told me MCDST... but
> from reading some of these postings it seems that
> everyone that is going for their MCDST already has their
> MCP...and my vocational counselor really knows nothing
> about this topic and is as if not more clueless than i
> am...but i know that i cant take the MCPuntil i have a
> certification behind me... where do i start?

02-13-2004 04:51 AM

Re: Where Do I Start?

That is the best explanation that I've heard to describe
the different certifications. Now if only the companies
out there would write that down for the HR people life
would be so much easier. Although I've had my current job
for the last 6 years. I can't believe how many places
want you to have a MCSE to sit around all day and create
user accounts, group directories or even to do desktop
support and Ghost machines all day. The only thing that
they understand is MCSE. It's like hiring a music major
to head up the financial department. Sorry for the rant,
the moment just moved me.

confers no

DANIEL KANGAH 02-15-2004 02:46 PM

Where Do I Start?

Colin Nash [MVP] 02-15-2004 08:25 PM

Re: Where Do I Start?

I think thats why Microsoft introduced the MCDST... so that employers have a
more relevant certification to look for for the entry level IT jobs. Same
idea with the MCSA- for people who will be maintaining rather than
designing.

I think there are still lots of MCSEs around from the dot-com era :)

Colin Nash [MVP] 02-16-2004 04:01 AM

Re: Where Do I Start?

You need to pass the 70-271 and 70-272 exams.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp