Velocity Reviews

-   -   A+ vs this dumb cert (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t654619-a-vs-this-dumb-cert.html)

Lysia 11-08-2003 08:17 PM

A+ vs this dumb cert

I take offense to this comment. I am A+ AND Net+
certified, and I am a damn good technician, if I do say so
myself. I have never had an unsatisfied user, and I know
MCSA's who also cannot install a Windows OS! I agree that
hands on experience is irreplaceable, but don't knock the
hard work it takes to get the A+ cert. If you don't
believe me, check any tech website out there
(cramsession.com is a good one) and ask any of the techs
there whether A+ cert exams are a joke! They are hard,
and definitely test your knowledge... try one if you don't
believe me, and then see if it's still a joke!

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\) 11-08-2003 08:52 PM

Re: A+ vs this dumb cert

A+ is a joke anymore--the local high schools offer A+ to students,but they
only teach them how to pass the exam--not how to actually work on pcs.

When someone that has an A+ cert has to bring their PC to me because they
have the floppy cable on backwards or a hard drive improperly jumpered and
can't figure out what is wrong there is a serious problem with the
certification procedure.

This has actually happened on several occasions--then one of the local
schools that is turning out these "paper techs" had the nerve to call me and
ask me to hire some of these idiots as apprentices to give them hands-on
experience before graduation.
You definitely did not want to hear my response <VBEG>

I have respect for anyone such as yourself that has earned the cert, but no
respect at all for these "paper techs"

I have never bothered getting my A+ since the value of the cert is so
diminished. I have no doubt I could get it without even breaking a sweat
since I have taken the practice exams just to keep on top of what is being
covered. I have scored 100% first attempt on every practice test I have
taken.
Yes the test is hard, but not for an experienced tech.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at