Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lowlevel formating (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t654374-lowlevel-formating.html)

Abhilash 01-13-2007 07:59 AM

Lowlevel formating

Ant one know how to format and to remove the bad sector from the hard disk
pls help me .....

Cerebrus 01-14-2007 08:39 PM

Re: Lowlevel formating

Abhilash wrote:
> Ant one know how to format and to remove the bad sector from the hard disk
> pls help me .....

AFAIK, you cannot "remove" bad sectors from your hard drive. Those are
*usually* physically damaged portions of your disk that are marked as
"bad" during a disk scan so as to avoid putting data into them. There
are many software out there which claim to "remove" bad sectors, but
IMHO, they only remove the "bad" tag from sectors which were
erroneously marked as bad.

As for Low level formatting your hard disk, every HDD manufacturer
provides a utility for this purpose. See this page, which lists the
links you need to visit depending on the manufacturer :

<http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html>

Cerebrus 01-14-2007 08:43 PM

Re: Lowlevel formating

I think I should also add that Low level formatting your disk will not
solve your problem. It will completely erase the disk, including those
tags that mark a sector as "bad". So, when you install an OS onto the
disk, there is a possibility that some data might be installed into a
bad sector, and therefore render your OS unusable.

In other words, "bad" sectors are "good" for you, because they tell you
that it's time to start backing up your data and look for a new hard
disk.