Velocity Reviews

-   -   Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t653820-setting-up-web-server-for-asp-net-web-service-project.html)

Retail_addict 10-10-2005 04:41 PM

Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

Hi,
I am preparing for 70-315 (Developing and Implementing Web Apps with
C#).I have never worked with ASP.NET and related technologies so the
question I have is very basic:
I am working on Windows XP Home Edition and I understand that I dont
have and will not be able to install IIS. I Googled on web hosts that
support .NET web
applications, and got a lot of companies that do so. My Questions are:

1) What Technologies should I look for when purchasing web hosts.
Please keep in mind that it should support requirements used in
MCAD/MCSD
exams

2) Any recommendation for web host.

Thanks in Advance

Joseph Bittman MCSD 10-10-2005 05:37 PM

Re: Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

October 10, 2005

You need IIS... and some hosting providers do not support ASP.Net hosting
so email/call them to make sure. What would be better is to buy XP Pro...
install IIS and then practice creating web sites on it. You don't even have
to have an ISP to develop web projects on XP Pro... you just type
http://localhost/ :).... Hosting through another provider will be very
difficult and frustrating.

--
Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
Static IP

news:1128962501.345091.291940@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...

EggHead 10-11-2005 02:30 PM

Re: Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

No it is not truth.
You can install IIS. There are some work around.
For me, I like to host my site. Anything go wrong, I can restart the PC :)
Egghead

MSN: robert.lo@logtechcan.com

Blackmetal 10-11-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

I would like to give my two cents also:

You can use IIS to host your own webprojects. Of course, as the other poster
said, it will be some work involved.

When you host with another provider, to avoid the "frustating part", you
must know some information that the provide would be able to give you, like:

- If they have a default folder for "root"
- If they have a default folder for "data"
- How they handle folder permission
- If you buy, let's say, SQL server database with the hosting, you must know
the server name, if you have to create DSN connection strings, and stuffs
like that

When you host your own projects, you already know this information because
is your machine and that's why it seems to be easier than hosting with
someone else.

Other thing is that when you create a new project folder AKA Application in
VS.NET, VS.NET it will create the application root under IIS, and when you
host with an external provider, you must go to your webhosting account and
enable the application on the destination folder, and so on, but either way,
it will require a little work.

My suggestion is: don't worry about work, in software development nothing is
magic or automatic, and that's why you want to get training in that, to be
able to do it by yourself.

Keep on going and don't feel frustrated if something doesn't work at the
beginning, just try to fixit and keep going

wylovan@hotmail.com 10-11-2005 05:24 PM

Re: Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

Microsoft's WebMatrix - http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/ - comes w/ the
Cassini Web Server. It will let you run ASP.NET pages.

Tons of information about it...

Vipul Patel 10-21-2005 05:34 PM

Re: Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

installing cassinni should work fine if you dont have IIS (in case of XP
home, you will not have IIS)..

Cassinni is free and is available at
http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/

Regards