Velocity Reviews

-   -   HELP!!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t653719-help.html)

aaron 07-10-2005 09:16 PM

HELP!!!

I dont know if this fits in the group, but I have an 10 year old computer and
it has Window 3.1. I have 2 probles with the computer to. 1, the screen
doesnt work and 2, the HD is 210 MB and the RAM is 4MB. Can I put Windows NT
on my computer? Please help!

Saga 07-11-2005 07:27 PM

Re: HELP!!!

NT requires at least 92 MB of RAM..

My advice is to keep your current PC with Win3.1 and
get a different one for the NT OS, even better, if NT
is not a strict requirement, go with at least W2000.

You can buy a PC for $300 that is much better than what
you have now. You did not mention how fast you PC is, but
from the description, I guess it could be maybe 100MHz???

Good luck
Saga

PS: you are right, this is definitely not the right ng :-)

Onin Tayson 07-13-2005 01:54 AM

Re: HELP!!!

WOW! it's probably a 66MHz or lower!!!

bob 07-13-2005 02:16 AM

Re: HELP!!!

The minimum amount of RAM to install windows NT is 12MB for Workstation and
16MB for server.
The minimum amount of RAM to run Windows NT is 4MB.
(I remember teaching this as a technique to find out which 4MB memory stick
was faulty - you keep reducing the amount of RAM and set the
MAXMEM parameter in boot.ini until you work out which stick is faulty)

Roger 07-20-2005 05:14 PM

RE: HELP!!!

Garbage, buy a new one, keep the monitor if you so attached to it

Roger