Velocity Reviews

-   -   MCAD - VB Track (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t652909-mcad-vb-track.html)

Donna French 09-28-2004 06:15 PM

MCAD - VB Track

I have recently started studying and working toward my
MCAD. Before I found this group I had already bought MS
VB.NET Step by Step, and I must say after reading it I
can't believe I bought it. It was great for getting an
understanding of how VB.NET works but not for learning
how to actually apply the knowledge in the real world.

Now I'm about to move on and work through Mike's book for
70-305 and from what I can tell so far it will be great.

I have taken a VB.NET beginner's class at the local
college and have been doing Windows apps using VB.NET for
about 6 months now. After some research in the job market
I'm not sure why anyone would study the Windows forms
side of VB.NET. Unless maybe planning to go to work for a
software company, everyone else appears to be running
most applications thru a web browser.

Anyone else done some job market research and found
anything interesting to consider? I like doing windows
apps but haven't found much out there for this.

Thanks,
Donna

Hermit Dave 09-28-2004 07:32 PM

Re: MCAD - VB Track

job market is a very localised thing. i have seen lots of winforms
requirement in london though a large chunk of it is using c#.
ASP.NET is indeed a pretty good thin client solution. As a programmer /
developer (i prefer programmer makes it sounds more real) one should have
hands on to both winforms and webforms. There are times when one is more
appropriate in a particular circumstance over the other. Knowning when helps
and when you have hands on to both you get the feel.

Hope that helped..

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave