Velocity Reviews

-   -   Training Guidance/Direction (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t652898-training-guidance-direction.html)

Amar Kapadia 09-24-2004 12:22 AM

Training Guidance/Direction

Hello everyone:

I have to tell you, I am coming into this world of certification pretty cold
(or as they say nowadays a "newbie"), so I apologize if you all are having
to reanswer the same questions on my behalf. I have read through many many
post and have a good feel, but since I have to offer up the internet now to
the others in my family, I am going to go ahead and begin asking you guys my
questions. Thanks in advance.

1) I notice that their seems to be two tracks of two tracks so to speak (C#
and VB) and (ASP.NET or Windows Form). Since I am totally new, what
combination is best? My experience is only writing code in VBA in Microsoft
Access. My department really doesn't use any web-based application only
Microsoft Access. I bought a book on C# and I can do simple stuff in it. I
also own Visual Studio 2003. Anyway, I always find myself being far more
productive with VBA in Access. Although everything is type enforced in C#
it just seems so slow going in writing anything productive quickly (although
does seem to be an elegant and concise language). I know I'm spoiled and
VBA is probably a very sloppy language, but its all I have experience in.
Anyway, any suggestions or input for me? Given what I've written it
probably seems like VB.NET using Windows Form as my choice, but I'm thinking
heading towards C# under the ASP.NET umbrella just because I think its more
marketable skills to have. Also, I just feel that ASP.NET is pretty darn
complicated (or so very different than Windows Form programming using VBA)
and if I can master that, then Windows Form should be easier to digest. And
given all the great things I've heard about C#, will it eventually become
the dominant language? Will Microsoft Access eventually have C# in it?
Wow, sorry...too many questions...but any comments will be great. Thanks.

2) I've read much about the Amit Kalani books and do plan on purchasing it.
All then I will have is that book, my Visual Studio 2003, my Windows XP Pro
(which includes the IIS Server I believe), and my .NET SDK and stuff. Now
outside of my time and dedication, do I need anything else to begin my
studies? I will probably ask again later as to what is the best practice
test to take, but I have enough info from the various posts to make my
decision on using Transcender, etc. For now, as far as studies go, would I
be good with that Amit Kalani book? Or do I need to first get one of those
"Teach Yourself ... in 21 Days" book?

Anyway, thanks everyone...sorry if it is a bunch of repeats, but I did try
to read as many posts as I could before I had to get off the internet.

Goodnight,
Amar

V. 09-24-2004 07:43 AM

Training Guidance/Direction

Hope this will help:
Answers:
1) For .NET it doesn't matter which language you use,
that's the whole point of .NET; you can develop what you
want in (almost) any language as long as you develop on
Microsoft stuff ;-). So to speak: .NET is language
independent where as J2EE is platform independent. So
the choice between C# and VB.NET is irrelevant.
2) I use Microsoft Press which is not really good. I
also have the transcenders which are good. You can
review your answers and get a link to MSDN which
immidiately takes us to the one thing you will need: MSDN.
As I've heard everywhere Amit's book is the best (maybe
for VB it could be another) So you're OK there.

good luck 2 you.

V.

Henry 09-24-2004 10:12 AM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

I think the most important part in here is learning the technology.
In my opinion, certification is secundary, it's just for assure that you learned the technology.

So, if you are not confident enough I recommend you books to learn C#, ADO.NET and VS.NET, and not directly kalanis books for example, wich is focused mainly on exam certification topics.

As for language, it is really independent, but, c# is the default language, and it implements all capabilities of CLS(stuff that not all languagem have).
"Amar Kapadia" <AmarKapadia@msn.com> escreveu na mensagem news:OHB$TycoEHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Frank Mamone 09-24-2004 01:25 PM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

I highly recommend Amit Kalani's books. But if you really want to excel and
understand the topics I suggest you do some tutorials or get a book on
Object Oriented Programming first. You will understand why things are done a
certain way.

You will also need SQL Server 2000 or MSDE(Free). If you can get the SQL
Server so that you'll also get the Client Tools like Query Analyzer and
Enterprise Manager which come in handy.

Good luck!

-Frank

Cindy Winegarden 09-24-2004 05:06 PM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

Hi Henry,

I'm confused. What makes C# the "default" language?

cindy.winegarden@mvps.org www.cindywinegarden.com

Raja 09-24-2004 09:33 PM

Re : Training Guidance/Direction

If you decide to do the vb.net track of MCAD, foll. books
are the best (all by Mike Gunderloy)
70-305 : http://tinyurl.com/56cmr
70-306 : http://tinyurl.com/5hapf
70-310 : http://tinyurl.com/52oav
Errata : http://www.larkware.com/TGErrata.txt

For C# track of MCAD, stick with Amit Kalani's books.
They are the absolute best !
C# track
70-315 : http://tinyurl.com/4rhh7
70-316 : http://tinyurl.com/64coq
70-320 : http://tinyurl.com/6oeo4

The choice of language is largely one's personal
preference, sometimes dictated by work. Don't believe
anyone who says "x language is better than y". It is not
and it is not going to be !

Of course, along with certification books, the foll. 2
are recommended as well !
ADO.Net Book : http://tinyurl.com/5fad9
Asp.net Unleashed : http://tinyurl.com/6ch54

Amar Kapadia 09-25-2004 12:50 PM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

V. Thanks. Yes I had forgotten about the the fact that .NET allows any
language. Looks like another vote for Amit books.

Amar Kapadia 09-25-2004 08:54 PM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

Excellent tips. Thanks.

Amar Kapadia 09-25-2004 08:54 PM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

Thanks Raja. I'll keep your listing with all the links.

Merlin of SoCal 09-30-2004 02:07 AM

Re: Training Guidance/Direction

Just an observation from reading posts over a period of some time but as
soon as someone places C# over other languages, ya get mighty defensive. I
understand that you might feel the need to "correct" people back into shape
but the reality is that C# is new, exciting, powerful and mysterious.
Having said that, it's human nature to want to make it appear to be more
important than other languages when in fact it may not be. Ultimately, it's
an opinion but it's hard to get excited over "anything-other-than-C#.net"
since as I stated, C# is new and is getting the most attention.