Velocity Reviews

-   -   What's the difference between Culture and UICulture of the Globalization? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t652583-whats-the-difference-between-culture-and-uiculture-of-the-globalization.html)

Tong 06-28-2004 11:00 PM

What's the difference between Culture and UICulture of the Globalization?

Can anybody clarify:
What's the difference between Culture and UICulture of the Globalization?
Give some examples?

Thanks!

Diana 07-02-2004 05:56 AM

RE: What's the difference between Culture and UICulture of the Globali

I was asking this question myself just a few weeks ago. I think that I figured it out (but please correct me if I am wrong):

CurrentCulture can be changed (to something like "en-US", etc.) and then you use that setting to make sure formats are correct for currency, day, whatever else formatting

CurrentUICulture is changed to tell the program which resource files to select when loading the form/page. So you would create the resource files in advance for different culture displays (translated text, right-to-left, etc.) and then within the code have it pick which one to use.

It seems like CurrentUICulture is something you would set before you load the whole program, but CurrentCulture you will reference during the program each time you format a date or something like that. Does that make sense?

anonymous 07-07-2004 10:57 AM

RE: What's the difference between Culture and UICulture of the Globali

By specifying a culture it is possible to use a set of
common preferences for information like strings and date
and number formats that correspond to users' cultural
conventions. A Web Forms page has two culture values,
Culture and UICulture. The Culture value determines or
influences results of culture-dependent functions, such
as displaying the date. The UICulture value determines
how the resources are loaded for the form and is used for
culture-specific lookup of resource data. The only
purpose of the UICulture value is to indicate the
language the resources should load, that is, determine
which language the UI strings should use. The Culture
value determines everything else - date formatting,
number formatting, and so on.