Velocity Reviews

-   -   Possible to break into programming job with MCAD? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t652554-possible-to-break-into-programming-job-with-mcad.html)

Jane 06-16-2004 07:34 PM

Possible to break into programming job with MCAD?

I've been out of the work force for many years raising a
family. Now that the youngest is heading off to school
soon I want to go back to work. I minored in Computer
Science ages ago (Liberal Arts major), and have used
dBase and structured Basic programming ancillary to my
main jobs over the years but have never worked as a
programmer per se. I taught myself VBA and VB6 over the
last couple of years "for fun," and I took a COM class
(using VBA). If I get up to speed on vb.net and pass the
MCAD, should I be able to find a job, or even break
into .net temp work? TIA!

bb 06-17-2004 08:09 AM

Re: Possible to break into programming job with MCAD?

Jane wrote:

> I've been out of the work force for many years raising a
> family. Now that the youngest is heading off to school
> soon I want to go back to work. I minored in Computer
> Science ages ago (Liberal Arts major), and have used
> dBase and structured Basic programming ancillary to my
> main jobs over the years but have never worked as a
> programmer per se. I taught myself VBA and VB6 over the
> last couple of years "for fun," and I took a COM class
> (using VBA). If I get up to speed on vb.net and pass the
> MCAD, should I be able to find a job, or even break
> into .net temp work? TIA!

i would personally recomend jumping ship from VB.NET to C#.

whilst this may seem like an extra hurdle, its actually not that
difficult (as moving from vb6 programming model to .net is more the
challenge than learning the actual syntax)

in my opinion c# is used much more heavily in the IT industry, but most
importantly it means your learning a syntax very close to java and C++,
thus widening your employment options.

--
------------------------
Think your smart?

Eric 06-17-2004 02:26 PM

bb wrote:

> i would personally recomend jumping ship from VB.NET to C#.
>
> whilst this may seem like an extra hurdle, its actually not that
> difficult (as moving from vb6 programming model to .net is more the
> challenge than learning the actual syntax)
>
> in my opinion c# is used much more heavily in the IT industry, but
> most importantly it means your learning a syntax very close to java
> and C++, thus widening your employment options.

I disagree. VB.NET is more common in entry level, and perhaps
mid-level, jobs. This is especially true in jobs that involve building
ASP.NET websites.

C# is far more common than VB.NET at the senior level.

Eric

06-18-2004 12:38 AM

BB wrote:

>i would personally recomend jumping ship from VB.NET to

C#.

>whilst this may seem like an extra hurdle, its actually

not that
>difficult (as moving from vb6 programming model to .net

is more the
>challenge than learning the actual syntax)
>
>in my opinion c# is used much more heavily in the IT

industry, but most
>importantly it means your learning a syntax very close

to java and C++,
>thus widening your employment options.

Thank you very much! I've been interested in learning C#
anyway, so I'll get right on it.

Jane 06-18-2004 02:03 PM

Re: Possible to break into programming job with MCAD?

I am thinking on focusing on the Windows-based .net
applications exams: 306 and 316 (plus 310).

Diana 06-20-2004 11:27 PM

Re: Possible to break into programming job with MCAD?

You can't take both of these tests to get MCAD. You could
take 306 with 305, or 316 with 316. I am trying to do
exactly the same thing as you. I have been working in
administration and decided that I would be better off as a
programmer. I took classes in high school and am teaching
myself VB.NET now. In my admin/assistant jobs I have
created databases and web pages to help with my work, but
never actually "programmed" either. Probably within a
month I should finish up the MCAD tests (1 down, 2 more to
go!).

I think as far as getting a job, some of that depends on
the area you live, and willingness to relocate, etc.
Contact some recruiters and send them your resume when you
get the certification, let them know you are looking for
entry-level work. Also, send your resume to any IT
company you can think of that is within your commuting
range.

Get as much practice as you can and make your resume look
at IT-related as possible (highlight things like your
certications, classes taken, programming languages that
you know, any kind of programming you have done at jobs,
etc.).

I don't think it should matter which language you learn.
I keep reading that even if one developer writes a class
in C#, you can inherit that class and work with it in VB
anyway. Is that right? So even if a job says they can a
C# developer, shouldn't you be able to write your modules
in VB and it all gets compiled correctly anyway?

Eric 06-21-2004 02:54 PM

Re: Possible to break into programming job with MCAD?

> I don't think it should matter which language you learn.

I agree - C# is not better than VB.NET, or vice-versa. These languages
are very similar in capabilities. The differences are mostly syntax
issues.

> I keep reading that even if one developer writes a class
> in C#, you can inherit that class and work with it in VB
> anyway. Is that right?

yes. You can also call library modules written in the "other" language,
and call Web Services, etc.

> So even if a job says they can a
> C# developer, shouldn't you be able to write your modules
> in VB and it all gets compiled correctly anyway?

You're correct, but you need to understand the corporate mindset. Most
companies believe in standardizing on one language. They normally allow
a small exception to the rule in some rare cases, but they try to keep
most code in the same language.

Some companies allow both C# or VB.NET, but I think that is not the
norm.

I recommend targeting your skills towards the jobs that you might
qualify for. This is hard to do if you're not familier with the jobs in
your area. I strongly recommend spending some time researching jobs in
your city (or any city you might relocate to), and look for entry level
jobs in VB.NET or C#. Use the big job search web sites, and specify the
city and language, and see what comes up.

Don't make the mistake of looking at the total number of job hits for
C# vs. VB.NET. You need to narrow it down to entry level job offers.

I prefer C# myself, but as I said in another message, I've guided my
son towards VB.NET because that's where I see most of the entry level
jobs. Another consideration is that he has some experience with VB6.

You can rest assured that once you know either of these languages well,
it's not hard to learn the other language. But focus on one language
first and master it.

Eric