Velocity Reviews

-   -   Intro Books for windows dev? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t651898-intro-books-for-windows-dev.html)

Rick 11-19-2003 02:25 PM

Intro Books for windows dev?

I am interested in learning Windows application development and would like
to find some good books to start with. I do have programming experience but
not OOP. I have a programming degree which centered around Mainframes i.e.
Cobol assembly and C. However, I switched to being a network guru 8 years
ago so I have been out of the programming field (well I have done some SQL
stored procedures but I would not count them). We use Visual Studio 6 for
most applications but I think we may have .net also. Which brings up the
question of could I learn VB fast enough to get an MCAD with VB6.

I have two test to take to finish my MCSE, should be early December. After I
have completed my MCSE I am looking to move on to either Cisco or MCAD. If I
do not have time to get a VB6 MCAD I would prefer to wait and work on a .net
MCAD after I finish my CCNA

Rick CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Microsoft: MCSA

Rick 11-19-2003 02:32 PM

Re: Intro Books for windows dev?

Ok it looks like MS has already ditched VB6 test so anyone have any suggest
about .net books. Also any comments on the difficulty of subject matter for
a non OOP programmer?

--
Rick

Eric Engler 11-19-2003 11:58 PM

Re: Intro Books for windows dev?

VB6 is gone from the certifications. You could go with VB.NET, or C#,
to get your MCAD.

There is a lot of changes in going from VB6 to VB.NET. This is going
to take some effort!

Of course, I think it's worthwhile in the end. This .NET stuff is a
programmers Nirvana in many ways...

Since you have a background in C and Assembly, you might consider C#?

Eric