Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bootup Times (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t651352-bootup-times.html)

judith 01-05-2009 12:42 PM

Bootup Times

What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
- desktop icons all there - ready to go?

Roselin Westbrook 01-05-2009 12:49 PM

Re: Bootup Times

judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk> wrote in message

> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

That will depend on what you have starting up.

To see what might be slowing Windows startup run Microsoft's Bootvis - it
will show your programs/services starting and the over all time it take to
do so, end to end.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

There are utilities which also enable you to set the order inwhich you might
want 'ptograms' to start up at boot time.

Stephen Wolstenholme 01-05-2009 01:09 PM

Re: Bootup Times

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000, judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk>
wrote:

>What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
>up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
>- desktop icons all there - ready to go?

My main XP system takes 45 seconds and my backup XP takes 50 seconds.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

A Yahoo group is available to allow users to exchange ideas.

Taylor Goglan 01-05-2009 01:18 PM

Re: Bootup Times

Stephen Wolstenholme <steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000, judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
>> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all
>> complete - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

> My main XP system takes 45 seconds and my backup XP takes 50 seconds.

Your backup XP? On a different machine, no programs or services running or
installed? SP2 or SP3?

Cyril Waldrip 01-05-2009 01:23 PM

Re: Bootup Times

judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk> wrote in message

> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

Clean install of XP 23 seconds.

A bloated XP system SP2 93 seconds

A bloated system SP3 74 seconds

A clean system with no patches, Office, AV, FW, internet connection
(starting) 58 seconds

Are you any the wiser now?

judith 01-05-2009 02:12 PM

Re: Bootup Times

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:23:06 -0500, "Cyril Waldrip"
<idontnow@nuffink.inlavid> wrote:

>judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:6vv3m4dvth6unqbjpofrbiqbooarsh4r60@4ax.com :
>
>> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
>> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
>> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

>Clean install of XP 23 seconds.
>
>A bloated XP system SP2 93 seconds
>
>A bloated system SP3 74 seconds
>
>A clean system with no patches, Office, AV, FW, internet connection
>(starting) 58 seconds
>
>Are you any the wiser now?

Thank you.

Yes I am the wiser because I can now see what others get and what may
be reasonable and what may be unreasonable.

Are you a ****wit?

Liam Harper 01-05-2009 02:19 PM

Re: Bootup Times

judith prattled:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:23:06 -0500, "Cyril Waldrip"
> <idontnow@nuffink.inlavid> wrote:
>
>> judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows
>>> boot up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all
>>> complete - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

>> Clean install of XP 23 seconds.
>>
>> A bloated XP system SP2 93 seconds
>>
>> A bloated system SP3 74 seconds
>>
>> A clean system with no patches, Office, AV, FW, internet connection
>> (starting) 58 seconds
>>
>> Are you any the wiser now?

> Thank you.

Don't thank him, he wouldn't know what to do with you.

> Yes I am the wiser because I can now see what others get and what may
> be reasonable and what may be unreasonable.

Oh good, it's so reassuring to know that you will cum bucket loads when
after I've slapped you around the chops with me donger.

> Are you a ****wit?

Well, actually some have indeed alluded to that on more than one occasion of
him - do you know him personally?

Aardvark 01-05-2009 02:35 PM

Re: Bootup Times

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:03:19 -0600, Jimchip wrote:

> On 2009-01-05, judith <judithsmith@live.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
>> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
>> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

> Oh, about the time it takes to go back downstairs, get that first cup of
> coffee and butter the toast, then walk back upstairs. YMMV.

What? No marmalade?

--
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTN3h-b9nU

catchme 01-05-2009 06:56 PM

Re: Bootup Times

judith wrote:

> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

variables such as speed of hard drive, cpu, level of fragmentation on
drive(s), startup applications, etc. comprise of varying boot times.
This, and a noticeable increase will occur naturally as a computer ages,
particularly when comparing with a brand new o/s with virtually nothing
installed on it, running on the latest hardware as seen on store shelves....

John Holmes 01-05-2009 08:00 PM

Re: Bootup Times

judith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

My Toshiba laptop (2.8G, 1Gb mem) boots straight into the desktop in
exactly 15 seconds. Ofcourse I don't run any services or programs on bootup
but start them manually when I need them.

--
<snip>