Velocity Reviews

-   -   confused in network land (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t650585-confused-in-network-land.html)

amanda lail 12-30-2008 08:33 AM

confused in network land

OK , i have previously setup a working home-network on my old PC with xp. i networked it with my husbands gateway laptop..
well i got hit with a ton of viruses and ended up reformatting my PC and losing all of my stored info.

i cant for the life of me figure out where i got the instructions on how to setup a home network , i have been looking everywhere and for some reason just cant find what i was needing. arggg..

i am using a new PC and laptop (both with vista )i got for Xmas.
i need step by step instructions for networking my PC and laptops using a usb 720 with a belkin g+ with mimo router .. now as i said before i miraculously set one up on my old system , and i worked well. just cant remember how i did it.. please help this frazzled mother who's kids want to play online while i'm looking up recipes ... I'm about to go nuts...
thanks in advance
Manda

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 12-30-2008 02:49 PM

Re: confused in network land

Keep simple. Connect your computers to the belkin LAN ports. The router
should assign IP to each computers. Can you ping each other by IP? Can you
access the Internet? if not, post back with the result of ipconfig /all. Or
this search result may help.
Vista How to
Feb 7, 2007 ... From: Date: 11 Nov 2006 Comments: There are 5 versions
of Windows Vista: 1. ... Windows Vista Enterprise 5. Windows Vista Ultimate
The home ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 12-30-2008 11:43 PM

Re: confused in network land

Hi
The manual of the Router+ the one that comes with the computers would have
instructions on how to configure the computers to connect to the Router.
Once you are connected to the Router setting a local network is a matter of
configuring the sharing of each computer.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -