Velocity Reviews

-   -   Photoshop recommendations (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t649917-photoshop-recommendations.html)

Neil Jones 12-24-2008 01:00 PM

Photoshop recommendations

Hi,

I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
are saved.

I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
photos? What would be the price range?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Happy Holidays!

NJ

PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?

Always Has An Opinion 12-24-2008 01:16 PM

Re: Photoshop recommendations

Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
much more with just the basic package.

You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.

wannabesomeonecares@gmail.com 12-24-2008 01:37 PM

Re: Photoshop recommendations

"Neil Jones" <castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:eoq4l.1243$496.1001@newsfe13.iad...

> PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?

A "plugin" is separate piece of software which has the ability to
attach itself to the target software, in this case Photoshop, which
will then appear as an additional menu selection in Photoshop to
perform a task. You can invoke the "plugin" software directly from the
menu of Photoshop.

More detail here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plugin

Some of the plugins are free. Some are not.

Regards,

Wannabe
=======

Neil Jones 12-24-2008 01:48 PM

Always Has An Opinion wrote:
> Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
> sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
> I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
> much more with just the basic package.
>
> You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.

Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
$649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
used version.

What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?

Thank you once again.

NJ

harikeo 12-24-2008 02:14 PM

Neil Jones wrote:
> Always Has An Opinion wrote:
>> Go cheap. Photoshop CS2 (if you can find it) or CS3 will be
>> sufficient. There's a ton of plugins which make things easier, but
>> I've never needed them. I've retouched photos, created 3D art and
>> much more with just the basic package.
>>
>> You can find a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.

> Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
> costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
> $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
> I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
> suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
> used version.
>
> What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?
>
> Thank you once again.
>
> NJ

Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?

<mind the rap on the earl>

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65026616...0128042&sr=8-1

harikeo 12-24-2008 02:15 PM

I forgot to mention Gimp 2 which is free http://www.gimp.org/

tony cooper 12-24-2008 02:25 PM

Re: Photoshop recommendations

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:00:43 -0500, Neil Jones
<castellan2004-nschap@remove-this.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am amateur photographer, only up to the point of taking pictures. For
>the pictures I shoot, I do not process the pictures or enhance them with
>touch ups etc. The pictures that turn out good are printed and the rest
>are saved.
>
>I am planning to purchase Photoshop to enhance the photos. It appears
>that Photoshop has a religious following in the photo processing area.
>To tell the truth, when I went to the Adobe site I was completely lost.
> They have tons of products with varying price ranges. What Photoshop
>version(s) are used by the community at large to process and enhance
>photos? What would be the price range?
>
>Thank you in advance for any help.
>
>Happy Holidays!
>
>NJ
>
>PS - What are plugins? Do you need to buy them separately from Photoshop?

No one can really tell you what is best for you because we don't know
your skill levels or how much time and effort you will put into
learning a new program.

However, based on what you've said above, I would recommend that you
use Adobe's Elements and not the full version of Photoshop. Elements
7.0 is $140 retail, but you can purchase Elements 5.0 or 6.0 for half
of that or less.

Elements will do almost everything that the full CS Photoshop version
will do. The difference between "everything" and "almost everything"
is in the use of some features that it takes a year or more of
experience to learn to use. I've been using the full version for
several years, and there are *still* features that I'm not proficient
in.

I also have Elements 5.0. For most editing of family photographs, I
use Elements instead of the full Photoshop. I switch over to the full
version when I have a real problem photograph or want to do something
extra creative.

You can download a free trial of Elements 7.0 at
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

This might not be of interest, but you can buy a Wacom Bamboo Fun pen
tablet for $80/$90 on Amazon, and this *includes* Elements 5.0 plus
Nic Color EFX (great filters!) and Corel Painter Essentials. Each
individual program alone is worth the money, and you get all three.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Neil Jones 12-24-2008 02:32 PM

harikeo wrote:
> harikeo wrote:
>> Neil Jones wrote:

>>> Great idea! I went to Amazon and looked up for CS3 but found that it
>>> costs as much as CS4 (even in the used section). They were listed at
>>> $649 (USD). Some of the craigslist sellers listed it for $100 to $150.
>>> I don't know if these are bootlegged packed with trojans in them. I am
>>> suspicious because of the price difference between the new version and
>>> used version.
>>>
>>> What are some good sources to buy cheap/used software like CS3?
>>>
>>> Thank you once again.
>>>
>>> NJ

>> Howabout Photoshop Elements 7 unless you want/need the full-blown PS CSx?
>>
>> <mind the rap on the earl>
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65026616...0128042&sr=8-1
>>

> I forgot to mention Gimp 2 which is free http://www.gimp.org/

I do have GIMP 2 but haven't done much with it. Photoshop seems to be
have a big following and easier to get some help.

NJ

PS - My digital camera also comes with some software which most people
(including myself) haven't heard of before. The software seems to be ok
but difficult to get any help.

David J Taylor 12-24-2008 02:44 PM

Re: Photoshop recommendations

Caesar Romano wrote:
[]
> You may wish to consider Paint Shop Pro at www.jasc.com/ It does most
> of what PS does at a fraction of the price. Unless you are doing VERY
> high end image *creation* (rather than editing) PSP is all that you
> need. There is a dedicated NG at comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro

I'd second that, and say that Paint Shop Pro 10 (PSP-X) is probably good
enough for someone starting with image-processing. The folk who use it
are very supportive and helpful to beginners (although I haven't checked
that very recently). The one other piece of software I might recommend is
something for combining two or three images together to simulate a
wide-angle lens - what I call a panorama, but meaning less than 360
degrees. Particularly useful if your camera only has a 35-38mm eq. widest
focal length.

Cheers,
David

TheRealSteve 12-24-2008 03:43 PM

Re: Photoshop recommendations

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:44:34 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

>Caesar Romano wrote:
>[]
>> You may wish to consider Paint Shop Pro at www.jasc.com/ It does most
>> of what PS does at a fraction of the price. Unless you are doing VERY
>> high end image *creation* (rather than editing) PSP is all that you
>> need. There is a dedicated NG at comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro

>I'd second that, and say that Paint Shop Pro 10 (PSP-X) is probably good
>enough for someone starting with image-processing. The folk who use it
>are very supportive and helpful to beginners (although I haven't checked
>that very recently). The one other piece of software I might recommend is

I used to use Paint Shop Pro all the time but I stopped after PSP 9
and switched over to Gimp because one of the things I do is to free
rotate images to correct my lopsided holding of the camera by a degree
or two and sometimes perspective correction for when a wide angle is
looking up or down. PSP 9 doesn't do that as well as Gimp because
Gimp can use the Lanczos interpolator for free rotation, perspective
correction, resizing, etc., and the best PSP 9 can manage is bicubic.

Have they added the option to use lanczos interpolator to the latest
version of Paint Shop Pro? If so, I might try it out. If not, I'll
pass.

Steve