Velocity Reviews

-   -   Allocating more memory to a program (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t649008-allocating-more-memory-to-a-program.html)

Zakynthos 12-17-2008 10:57 AM

Allocating more memory to a program

I'm using a workforce management program and am involved in a data transfer
project - the running time of this program is rather slow in relation to the
automation I am using.

Is there a way I could allocate more RAM to this program and would that
facilitate an increase in speed?

many thanks

Carlos 12-17-2008 12:20 PM

RE: Allocating more memory to a program

Hi,
Could you describe your setup more thoroughly?
Operating System, processor, amount and type of RAM, hard disk, etc.
And finally, which is the - slow - application you are running onto it.
Carlos

Zakynthos 12-17-2008 12:33 PM

RE: Allocating more memory to a program

Carlos,

I think this is what you need - I'm using:

Windows XP Professional version 2002
Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 GHz
980 Mb ram
Hard drive ST 380815AS
Software: Genesys workforce management program - a real time database

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Many thanks

Carlos 12-17-2008 01:12 PM

RE: Allocating more memory to a program

Hi,
This is a Newsgroup for 64-bit operating systems and you are using a 32-bit
one.
All that being said, if you are convinced that your program needs more
memory, I would go from the 1GB you have to 2GB.
If data transfer is limited by hard disk speed you might also consider
setting up a RAID array with, at least, two identical disks.
Best of luck.
Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP 12-17-2008 02:48 PM

Re: Allocating more memory to a program

And if this is a laptop, consider swapping out the HD for a faster one. Most
laptops ship with quite slow drives. Upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive can make
a noticeable difference. Combine that with increasing the RAM to 2 GB, and
you should see a significant difference.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Carlos 12-17-2008 02:58 PM

Re: Allocating more memory to a program

Drive is an 80GB, 7200rpm, 3.5" Seagate Barracuda.
He might also be running out of space, depending on what he has installed in
it.
Carlos

John Barnes 12-17-2008 05:26 PM

Re: Allocating more memory to a program

In addition to the above suggestions, you might get a head start by changing
the process to a higher priority (try above normal initially).

Jud Hendrix 12-19-2008 07:36 AM

Re: Allocating more memory to a program

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:33:03 -0800, Zakynthos
<Zakynthos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Carlos,
>
>I think this is what you need - I'm using:

Maybe http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php is the thing for you?

jud

ignium 12-29-2009 07:31 PM

I think this may be a little more on topic.
I am currently running:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core 2 CPU running at 2.4 GHz
6.0 GB of RAM.

I am using Civil 3D 2009 (32-bit) in compatibility mode. Since this is a 32-bit program and really the only data intensive program I run on this system. Is there a way to allocate 2 GB of RAM exclusively to this program? It's my understanding that it technically wouldn't be able to run more than approx. 3.2 GB or RAM any way. And... would this even help to speed the program?