Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need info on Coby digital frame (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648719-need-info-on-coby-digital-frame.html)

jliu1971@yahoo.com 12-15-2008 02:48 PM

Need info on Coby digital frame

Hi All,

I am looking for a digital frame for my 88-year-old grandma who is NOT
gadget savvy. The goal is to find something that will go straight to
slideshow when powered on. Memory is not an issue as we intend to
leave the memory card in the slot. Resolution is not an issue since
her eyesight can't tell the difference anyway. A remove control with
easy buttons to rewind and forward is desirable. Start at the slide
where left off without starting from the begriming every time is
nice. Can someone recommend a make or model?

Saw a Coby dp-772 at CVS yesterday. It looked nice and within price
range but the clerk dose not allow testing. Does any one know if it
will go straight to slideshow when powered on? Grandma will not be
able to handle instructions that involve button pushing.

Thanks in advance,
Jenn

DavidM 12-15-2008 03:41 PM

Re: Need info on Coby digital frame

jliu1971@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a digital frame for my 88-year-old grandma who is NOT
> gadget savvy. The goal is to find something that will go straight to
> slideshow when powered on. Memory is not an issue as we intend to
> leave the memory card in the slot. Resolution is not an issue since
> her eyesight can't tell the difference anyway. A remove control with
> easy buttons to rewind and forward is desirable. Start at the slide
> where left off without starting from the begriming every time is
> nice. Can someone recommend a make or model?
>
> Saw a Coby dp-772 at CVS yesterday. It looked nice and within price
> range but the clerk dose not allow testing. Does any one know if it
> will go straight to slideshow when powered on? Grandma will not be
> able to handle instructions that involve button pushing.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jenn

I've only used budget frames, so don't know how the big brand versions
work. I can't even see a way of randomly playing my pictures, they just
want to start at the beginning each time and churn through.

The frames will happily start playing a slideshow once powered on, that
should keep your granny happy, but they do not begin from the last photo
viewed.

This is uninformed speculation, but I would imagine that these frames
just can't handle the thousands of file names; beyond simply scrolling
through in the order that they exist on the media. Random play and
resumed play would require that they hold a list of all file names in
RAM or stored somewhere, then refer to the list and amend it for each
slide change. Too resource hungry and time consuming for a cheap
consumer product I guess.

Does this sound right? Do any frames do random play or resume play?

jliu1971@yahoo.com 12-15-2008 05:31 PM

Re: Need info on Coby digital frame

I see what you mean about random play adding to the cost. So I am
scraching that off the list. My real question now is if Coby's dp-772
boots up on slideshow mode. Hope someone who owns one will chime
in.

From what I saw at Sears, not all frame start at slideshow. A few of
them asked if this is USB, SD, xD or whatever and a multitudes of
questions in icons. My grandma will not be able to handle that.

Thanks again,
Jenn