Velocity Reviews

-   -   YouTube Revisiting the page must start a new download? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648667-youtube-revisiting-the-page-must-start-a-new-download.html)

John Doe 12-15-2008 04:00 AM

YouTube Revisiting the page must start a new download?

Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
folder contains hundreds of files.

BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
there a better group to ask?

Thanks.

fatsteve 12-15-2008 05:52 AM

Re: YouTube Revisiting the page must start a new download?

John Doe wrote:
> Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
> video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
> prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
> downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
> at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
> same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
> no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
> escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
> grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
> Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
> for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
> folder contains hundreds of files.
>
> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
> there a better group to ask?
>
> Thanks.

Use an addon to download the .flv video from YouTube and save it to your
hard drive to view later. I use Download Helper addon to do this but
there are others that will do the same thing.

Justin 12-15-2008 02:59 PM

John Doe wrote on [Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:00:46 GMT]:

> Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
> video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
> prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
> downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
> at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
> same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
> no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
> escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
> grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
> Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
> for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
> folder contains hundreds of files.
>
> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
> there a better group to ask?

It's the way it's designed. You could use something like flashblock
which would then require you hit play on every embedded flash object
before any flash loads.

It IS the flashplayer options you want, it has nothing to do with
firefox and all to do with the flash plugin.

Gualtier Malde 12-15-2008 04:02 PM

John Doe wrote:
> Every time I hit the back button, YouTube starts downloading the same
> video from the start all over again. Is there some way for Firefox to
> prevent that from happening? Doesn't matter if the video was completely
> downloaded or partially downloaded (it doesn't even start downloading
> at the point where it was interrupted), every single time I visit that
> same video page, the whole thing starts downloading again. If there is
> no way to prevent it from starting, is there some way to stop it? The
> escape button doesn't do it and the View -- Stop menu selection is
> grayed out. Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.
> Doesn't seem to be a storage allocation problem, at least 1 GB is set
> for Firefox temporary files and the Application Data -- Mozilla cache
> folder contains hundreds of files.
>
> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution. Is
> there a better group to ask?
>
> Thanks.

Also, there is an add-on called "Stop Autoplay" which at least will give you the
option of deciding whether you want something to start downloading.

John Doe 12-16-2008 12:08 AM

Justin <nospam@insightbb.com> wrote:
> John Doe wrote on [Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:00:46 GMT]:

>> Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.

>> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution.

> It IS the flashplayer options you want,

I don't see any relevant Flash Player options. Am I missing something?

Justin 12-16-2008 02:08 PM

John Doe wrote on [Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:08:39 GMT]:
> Justin <nospam@insightbb.com> wrote:
>> John Doe wrote on [Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:00:46 GMT]:

>>> Right clicking on the video leads to flash player options.

>>> BTW. I'm not blaming it on Firefox, just looking for a solution.

>> It IS the flashplayer options you want,

> I don't see any relevant Flash Player options. Am I missing something?

Try googling flash settings manager

for some reason Adobe believes it's best to have the settings manager at
their website

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 12-16-2008 03:55 PM

Justin wrote:
> John Doe wrote on [Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:08:39 GMT]:
>> Justin <nospam@insightbb.com> wrote:
>>> It IS the flashplayer options you want,

>> I don't see any relevant Flash Player options. Am I missing something?

> Try googling flash settings manager
>
> for some reason Adobe believes it's best to have the settings manager at
> their website

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager03.html

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm