Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Re: TV converter box (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648525-re-tv-converter-box.html)

richard 12-13-2008 08:11 PM

Re: TV converter box
 
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
<ScoTTo@newsserver.net> wrote:

>These ****ing things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one is a
>headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
>
>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white television
>in New York. Many thanks.
>
>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No signal!"
>


Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then
no, you won't get a signal.
After the turn on date, you will.

That's kind of like buying a cable tv box and not having cable to
begin with.

Or trying to connect to the internet via wifi in the middle of the
mojave desert.

Oh that's where you are?

Blinky the Shark 12-13-2008 09:44 PM

Re: TV converter box
 
richard wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy" <ScoTTo@newsserver.net>
> wrote:
>
>>These ****ing things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one is
>>a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
>>
>>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
>>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
>>television in New York. Many thanks.
>>
>>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
>>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No signal!"
>>
>>

> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
> you won't get a signal.


They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
sticks.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html


Whiskers 12-13-2008 11:40 PM

Re: TV converter box
 
On 2008-12-13, Blinky the Shark <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote:
> richard wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy" <ScoTTo@newsserver.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>These ****ing things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one is
>>>a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
>>>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
>>>television in New York. Many thanks.
>>>
>>>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
>>>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No signal!"
>>>
>>>

>> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
>> you won't get a signal.

>
> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
> sticks.


We've had terrestrial DVB for years over on this side of the pond. It
needs a good roof aerial, unless the signal is unusually strong. One might
get away with an indoor 'digital' aerial with a 'signal booster', but the
old-fashioned V-sticks are unlikely to work well, if at all. "High
Definition" is still a bit scarce here - but our 'standard' has been
higher definition than the US standard, since ... forever!

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~

G. Morgan 12-13-2008 11:52 PM

Re: TV converter box
 
WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

> I trust Richard.


Birds of a feather....

Hey, you guys can ask Chucktard to join your little clan and then you can have
a circle-jerk. Who's gonna be the "pivot-man"?



--
I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when someone says something like,
"Hey, when are you going to pay me that $100 you owe me?"
or "Do you have that $50 you borrowed?" Man, quit being so cheap! -Jack Handey


Blinky the Shark 12-14-2008 12:38 AM

Re: TV converter box
 
Whiskers wrote:

> On 2008-12-13, Blinky the Shark <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
>>> <ScoTTo@newsserver.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>>These ****ing things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one
>>>>is a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
>>>>
>>>>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
>>>>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
>>>>television in New York. Many thanks.
>>>>
>>>>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
>>>>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No
>>>>signal!"
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
>>> you won't get a signal.

>>
>> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
>> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
>> sticks.

>
> We've had terrestrial DVB for years over on this side of the pond. It
> needs a good roof aerial, unless the signal is unusually strong. One
> might get away with an indoor 'digital' aerial with a 'signal booster',
> but the old-fashioned V-sticks are unlikely to work well, if at all.
> "High Definition" is still a bit scarce here - but our 'standard' has been
> higher definition than the US standard, since ... forever!


I get all but a couple (I can get one or the other of those, depending on
how I set up my "v stick") of the channels I got with analog. I live in a
big valley, and on top of one of the mountains overlooking it are most of
the city's TV transmission towers. And they look like cable. Yay. $70
ADC, that the government paid $40 toward (free forty dollar off coupons
from Uncle Sam for buying converters).


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html


Blinky the Shark 12-14-2008 12:38 AM

Re: TV converter box
 
WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
> news:pan.2008.12.13.21.44.41.97780@thurston.blinky net.net...
>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
>>> <ScoTTo@newsserver.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>These ****ing things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one
>>>>is a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
>>>>
>>>>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
>>>>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
>>>>television in New York. Many thanks.
>>>>
>>>>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
>>>>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No
>>>>signal!"
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
>>> you won't get a signal.

>>
>> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
>> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
>> sticks.

> If they are already how come the TV didn't work?


I don't know what you ****ed up.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html


hwf 12-14-2008 01:16 AM

Re: TV converter box
 
G. Morgan <no_em@il.invalid>
wrote<133f8529d09c0b5cd2e2a9de6a92bb24np@mypost.in valid>:

>WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
>
>> I trust Richard.

>
>Birds of a feather....
>
>Hey, you guys can ask Chucktard to join your little clan and then you

can have
>a circle-jerk. Who's gonna be the "pivot-man"?
>

that would be me...

:)

Evan Platt 12-14-2008 05:24 AM

Re: TV converter box
 
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:52:41 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan <no_em@il.invalid>
wrote:

>
>Birds of a feather....
>
>Hey, you guys can ask Chucktard to join your little clan and then you can have
>a circle-jerk. Who's gonna be the "pivot-man"?


Wow... chucktard, scotty and Richard... err richard.

It'll look like one of the two things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPiaN1hYidU

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTWsn2db88

One of the two.

Or a combination of both.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.

G. Morgan 12-14-2008 08:39 AM

Re: TV converter box
 
Evan Platt wrote:

>It'll look like one of the two things:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPiaN1hYidU
>
>or
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTWsn2db88
>
>One of the two.
>
>Or a combination of both.


Eww...
That is really disturbing!

For the uninitiated:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=circlejerk
--
I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when someone says something like,
"Hey, when are you going to pay me that $100 you owe me?"
or "Do you have that $50 you borrowed?" Man, quit being so cheap! -Jack Handey


Whiskers 12-14-2008 12:59 PM

Re: TV converter box
 
On 2008-12-14, Blinky the Shark <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-13, Blinky the Shark <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote:
>>> richard wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:25:42 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
>>>> <ScoTTo@newsserver.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>These ****ing things are a headache. I've bought two so far, well one
>>>>>is a headache imparticular, the ACCESS HD 1080u.
>>>>>
>>>>>Does anyone know if these converter boxes work with regular rabbit ears
>>>>>televisions? I think I have the last rabbit ears black and white
>>>>>television in New York. Many thanks.
>>>>>
>>>>>I hooked it up successfully, but it only sends it's messages to the
>>>>>television but when it's time to rock'n roll it keeps saying "No
>>>>>signal!"
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Unless your local broadcast stations are already airing Hidef, then no,
>>>> you won't get a signal.
>>>
>>> They probably are already. They are here. Of course, I live in Los
>>> Angeles, not East Bumfuk, so I don't know what's happening out in the
>>> sticks.

>>
>> We've had terrestrial DVB for years over on this side of the pond. It
>> needs a good roof aerial, unless the signal is unusually strong. One
>> might get away with an indoor 'digital' aerial with a 'signal booster',
>> but the old-fashioned V-sticks are unlikely to work well, if at all.
>> "High Definition" is still a bit scarce here - but our 'standard' has been
>> higher definition than the US standard, since ... forever!

>
> I get all but a couple (I can get one or the other of those, depending on
> how I set up my "v stick") of the channels I got with analog. I live in a
> big valley, and on top of one of the mountains overlooking it are most of
> the city's TV transmission towers. And they look like cable. Yay. $70
> ADC, that the government paid $40 toward (free forty dollar off coupons
> from Uncle Sam for buying converters).


The Unique Selling Point of terrestrial DVB over here, is the greater
number of channels available compared with the analogue system - currently
about 30 digital channels compared with no more than 5 analogue, and all
the analogue stations are duplicated on the digital system. When all the
analogue transmitters finally shut down there will be bandwidth for a
great many more digital channels - and the digital transmitters can be
increased in power, which will help some of the marginal reception
problems. (Of course, whether you have 5 or 30 or 100 channels there still
only a few shows really worth watching).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.