Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648452-how-to-burn-video-dvd-with-vcd-quality-videos.html)

hsyq8xg@gmail.com 12-13-2008 03:30 AM

How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.

Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.

Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.

I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
year celebration to baptism, and so on.

Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.

And this get me thinking ---

Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?

Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.

So I thought.

I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.

Nero complaints !!

It just won't allow me to do so.

According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
DVDs.

But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?

I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
Definition format at all !

Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
like 543X480 or whatever resolution.

If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.

Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
having any improvement on video resolution at all.

In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.

That's is a real bummer !

So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
into Video DVDs?

If so, please help !

I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
of those low-definition video footages.

And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
original VCD video files?

Please give me any suggestion that you might have.

Thank you all !!!

Bill in Co. 12-13-2008 03:44 AM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

hsyq8xg@gmail.com wrote:
> I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.
>
> Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
> contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.
>
> Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
> contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
> enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
> and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.
>
> I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
> family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
> year celebration to baptism, and so on.
>
> Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.
>
> And this get me thinking ---
>
> Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?
>
> Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
> of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.
>
> So I thought.
>
> I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
> and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.
>
> Nero complaints !!
>
> It just won't allow me to do so.
>
> According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
> format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
> DVDs.
>
> But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?
>
> I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
> Definition format at all !
>
> Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
> like 543X480 or whatever resolution.
>
> If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
> Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.
>
> Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
> having any improvement on video resolution at all.
>
> In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
> handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.
>
> That's is a real bummer !
>
> So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
> into Video DVDs?
>
> If so, please help !
>
> I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
> of those low-definition video footages.
>
> And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
> anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
> original VCD video files?
>
> Please give me any suggestion that you might have.
>
> Thank you all !!!

This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
crossposted here?

But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
conversion WILL be needed. And you cannot improve the video resolution of
the source, no matter what you do.

Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. Also check out
www.videohelp.com.

Hari Hari Mau 12-13-2008 04:20 AM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

On Dec 12, 7:44*pm, "Bill in Co." <not_really_h...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> hsyq...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.

> > Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
> > contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.

> > Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
> > contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
> > enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
> > and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.

> > I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
> > family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
> > year celebration to baptism, and so on.

> > Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.

> > And this get me thinking ---

> > Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?

> > Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
> > of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.

> > So I thought.

> > I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
> > and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.

> > Nero complaints !!

> > It just won't allow me to do so.

> > According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
> > format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
> > DVDs.

> > But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?

> > I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
> > Definition format at all !

> > Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
> > like 543X480 or whatever resolution.

> > If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
> > Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.

> > Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
> > having any improvement on video resolution at all.

> > In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
> > handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.

> > That's is a real bummer !

> > So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
> > into Video DVDs?

> > If so, please help !

> > I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
> > of those low-definition video footages.

> > And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
> > anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
> > original VCD video files?

> > Please give me any suggestion that you might have.

> > Thank you all !!!

> This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
> crossposted here?
>
> But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
> conversion WILL be needed. * And you cannot improve the video resolution of
> the source, no matter what you do.
>
> Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. * Also check outwww.videohelp.com.

Maybe the guy is using winxp ? Ever thought of that possibility??

Hari Hari Mau 12-13-2008 04:27 AM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

All I can find online is the term "DVD-VCD".

At this page www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0070.html -- you scroll
towards the middle, under the "Other non-standard special DVD formats"
banner, there's a listing of "DVD-VCD"

At this page www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-vcd.cfm -- it has
the following info:

"Actually a very misleading term, since DVD-Video specs clearly state
that VCD-encoded video content is perfectly within the specs of DVD-
Video as well (with the exception of audio, which in VCD is 44.1kHz
and in DVD 48kHz).

But basically, DVD-VCD, is just a "clever" way to stating that we're
speaking of DVD-Video disc that has material on it which has been
encoded by using MPEG-1 video format with same definitions as VCD has
(same resolution, same bitrate, etc).

If you're interested of transferring your existing VCD movies to a DVD
format, this process is relatively painless -- as stated before, only
real difference between VCD and one of the allowed DVD-Video specs is
the fact that the audio frequency needs to be changed from VCD's
44.1kHz to DVD-Video's 48kHz."

Unfortunately, if you click on the "our guide" link, you'll get to
www.afterdawn.com/guides/ which has NOTHING about "DVD-VCD"

You can also go to this page http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/...d/vcdtodvd.htm
-- which has a better documentation on how to do it.

This page www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/57/59/ -- also has some
useful information

Finally back to afterdawn ( http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...d_to_dvd-r.cfm
) which also has info on how to put your VCD into DVD.

Bill in Co. 12-13-2008 04:28 AM

Hari Hari Mau wrote:
> [...]

>>> If so, please help !

>>> I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
>>> of those low-definition video footages.

>>> And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
>>> anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
>>> original VCD video files?

>>> Please give me any suggestion that you might have.

>>> Thank you all !!!

>> This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
>> crossposted here?
>>
>> But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
>> conversion WILL be needed. And you cannot improve the video resolution of
>> the source, no matter what you do.
>>
>> Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. Also check
>> outwww.videohelp.com.

> Maybe the guy is using winxp ? Ever thought of that possibility??

Yeah I did. So what? This is a windows operating system support group.

Hari Hari Mau 12-13-2008 04:40 AM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

On Dec 12, 8:28*pm, "Bill in Co." <not_really_h...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Hari Hari Mau wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 7:44 pm, "Bill in Co." <not_really_h...@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:

> >> This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
> >> crossposted here?

> >> But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
> >> conversion WILL be needed. And you cannot improve the video resolution of
> >> the source, no matter what you do.

> >> Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. Also check
> >> outwww.videohelp.com.

> > Maybe the guy is using winxp ? Ever thought of that possibility??

> Yeah I did. * So what? * *This is a windows operating system support group.

So the guy is using Nero, which runs on WinXP, and he couldn't do what
he wanted to do, so he post his message here.

What's wrong with that??

PA Bear [MS MVP] 12-13-2008 08:09 AM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

[Why does this smell like a spam post is in the offing?]

alanglloyd@aol.com 12-13-2008 09:11 AM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

On Dec 13, 4:52�am, Eddie Hyde <edw...@misterhyde.net> wrote:
<snop>
> When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
> lighter adapter. �I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
> it's on that power source.
>
> Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
> to get help?

If you believe in a logical approach to problem diagnosing - yes. The
only thing that has changed in the notebook context is that it is in
the car. So its connection to the car, or the car environment, or the
car power supply is the cause.

Someone on the car NG may have had the same problem & its solution.
They may know that there is an EMC (electro-magnetic compatibility)
issue with the car, or its power socket.

OTOH the car NG will be fairly ignorant of such things & you will be
lucky to get an answer. Whereas on _this_ NG there are a lot of
posters who are expert on the whole OS program environment, incuding
standards of interfacing.

Be relaxed about other's ignorance of protocol <g>

Alan Lloyd

Dick D. 12-13-2008 09:34 AM

"alanglloyd@aol.com" <alanglloyd@aol.com> wrote:

>On Dec 13, 4:52?am, Eddie Hyde <edw...@misterhyde.net> wrote:
><snop>
>> When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
>> lighter adapter. ?I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
>> it's on that power source.
>>
>> Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
>> to get help?
>>

>If you believe in a logical approach to problem diagnosing - yes.

YOU are a moron.

Martin Heffels 12-13-2008 02:15 PM

Re: How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:52:42 -0600, Eddie Hyde <edward@misterhyde.net>
wrote:

>>> Yeah I did. * So what? * *This is a windows operating system support group.

>>So the guy is using Nero, which runs on WinXP, and he couldn't do what
>>he wanted to do, so he post his message here.
>>
>>What's wrong with that??

>When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
>lighter adapter. I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
>it's on that power source.
>
>Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
>to get help?
>
>EFF NO.
>
>You're a bozo.

You should obviously not discuss it in the carmakers discussion group,
but also in the Windows XP group. So obvious!

;-0

-m-