Velocity Reviews

-   -   Restricting access on a wifi network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648401-restricting-access-on-a-wifi-network.html)

Andrew 12-12-2008 05:49 PM

Restricting access on a wifi network

I have an XP desktop that is acting as a hub for my laptop to access printers
and an external HDD. I have these resources shared on the network. Now I am
renting out a portion of my house and would like to offer the internet
connection to my tenants BUT I don't want those computers to have access to
my desktop, printer, laptop etc. Is there anyway to restrict that access?
Thanks in advance.

Sooner Al [MVP] 12-12-2008 06:09 PM

Re: Restricting access on a wifi network

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an XP desktop that is acting as a hub for my laptop to access
>printers
> and an external HDD. I have these resources shared on the network. Now
> I am
> renting out a portion of my house and would like to offer the internet
> connection to my tenants BUT I don't want those computers to have
> access to
> my desktop, printer, laptop etc. Is there anyway to restrict that
> access?
> Thanks in advance.

One way is to use a wireless router that has two networks one for you
and one for guests. The guest network is isolated from your network. I
just bought one of these devices. For $20 after a $10 mail in rebate its
a pretty good deal.

http://www.provantage.com/zyxel-nbg334wkit~7ZYXW00U.htm

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Andrew 12-12-2008 06:35 PM

Re: Restricting access on a wifi network

THank you for that but I am hpoing that I can do this "in house" as it were.
Is there a way that I can simply restrict permissions full stop to other
users on the network?

Sooner Al [MVP] 12-12-2008 09:10 PM

> THank you for that but I am hpoing that I can do this "in house" as it
> were.
> Is there a way that I can simply restrict permissions full stop to
> other
> users on the network?

With the XP or Vista Windows Firewall you could configure a custom
address scope on each of your PCs so only specific IP addresses would be
allowed to access shared files/folders/printers.

Phillip Windell 12-12-2008 09:31 PM

Re: Restricting access on a wifi network

What is "in house" and how is what Sooner suggested not "in house"?

I think Sooner's suggestion is about the only true reasonable solution that
exists without buying more equipment that in the end produces the same thing
anyway.

Side note: There is no way I would do this for a tenant. "Free Internet" is
always abused by the one getting it for free and I would not want to be
their "tech support" that gets the complaint everytime they think something
is wrong with their "internet".

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\) 12-12-2008 09:32 PM

Re: Restricting access on a wifi network

Hi
You can configure a system of elaborate user names, permission, a passwords,
but it might be easy to compromise your Network since all the computers
would be on the same Network.
Al's idea is one good way to go, this page describes an other idea with
instructions on setting it.
Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Andrew 12-12-2008 10:23 PM

Re: Restricting access on a wifi network

Perfect! I will try to sort that out.