Velocity Reviews

-   -   Images on SmugMug (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648386-images-on-smugmug.html)

tony cooper 12-12-2008 03:50 PM

Images on SmugMug

I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY

Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
something nice, lie.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Irwell 12-12-2008 04:10 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>
> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
> something nice, lie.

The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

tony cooper 12-12-2008 04:30 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:10:18 -0800, Irwell <hook@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
>
>> I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>>
>> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>> something nice, lie.

>The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
>adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
>great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
being razed and sells the items. It's a boneyard of yesterday's house
parts. No attempt was made on my part to arrange the items in any
image. The only composing was framing the shot, or cropping the shot,
to exclude the nearby clutter; almost impossible in that setting.

I had to rely on the camera's built-in flash since I didn't bring any
lights or reflectors with me on that day.

I will consider your comment to be fawning praise. It wasn't, but it
makes me feel better to do so.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Cynicor 12-12-2008 05:30 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:10:18 -0800, Irwell <hook@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
>>
>>> I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>>>
>>> Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>>> contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>>> something nice, lie.

>> The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
>> adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
>> great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

> What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
> that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
> being razed and sells the items. It's a boneyard of yesterday's house
> parts. No attempt was made on my part to arrange the items in any
> image. The only composing was framing the shot, or cropping the shot,
> to exclude the nearby clutter; almost impossible in that setting.
>
> I had to rely on the camera's built-in flash since I didn't bring any
> lights or reflectors with me on that day.
>
> I will consider your comment to be fawning praise. It wasn't, but it
> makes me feel better to do so.

You mind if I nick this photo for my holiday cards? :-)
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34836045_QVwYs

I've been with smugmug for years. Their galleries look nice, they're
easy to navigate, their service is good (and if you contact them with a
problem they are always RIGHT on it), and the pro sales feature is great
too. The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
URLs. So instead of
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34836045_QVwYs, it
might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
something similar.

tony cooper 12-12-2008 05:41 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:11:37 -0600, Tak Colston
<tcolston@someadresssomewhere.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:30:09 -0500, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net>
>wrote:

>>>The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
>>>adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
>>>great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

>>What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
>>that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
>>being razed and sells the items.

>Nothing more enthralling than some lame snapshooter trying to explain why
>someone should appreciate their snapshots of crap.

I will accept your comments as fawning praise. Since I don't expect
Helen to comment on my photos, yours will be considered as pick of the
litter.

>Home movies of Aunt Margaret's vacation to New York, anyone? Anyone got a gun to
>put her out of everyone's misery? Anyone?

Actually, the home movies of Aunt Margaret's vacation in New York are
quite good. Aunt Margaret retired after 42 years as a librarian and
found that her pension fund was insolvent and didn't qualify for a
government bail-out. She went to New York and obtained temporary
employment with a call girl network as a dominatrix specializing in
bullying people to pay overdue fines. She got some very spicy footage
of a number of politicians - including one Governor and two State
Representatives - groveling and screaming "Fine me more! Fine me
now!". She wore out six #2 Ticonderoga pencils with that little
rubber date stamp attached to the eraser end using them as a whip.

She made enough money on her vacation to buy a pair of thigh-high
leather boots that nicely cover her varicose veins, and to buy a
year's supply of Kibbles and Bits for her cat HarperLee. (The cat was
so-named because of its propensity to kill birds. But I don't expect
you to catch that reference.)

Know anything about photography? Ever taken a photograph?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 12-12-2008 05:50 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:30:00 -0500, Cynicor <truuupin@opt.i.m.um.net>
wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:

>>> The Gallery works fine, pictures load fast and nice
>>> adjustment features. Detail on the pics is great, composition not too
>>> great, mostly clutter type on the few I looked at.

>> What was photographed *is* clutter. Victorian Antiques is a company
>> that retrieves parts and pieces from old houses and buildings that are
>> being razed and sells the items. It's a boneyard of yesterday's house
>> parts. No attempt was made on my part to arrange the items in any
>> image. The only composing was framing the shot, or cropping the shot,
>> to exclude the nearby clutter; almost impossible in that setting.
>>
>> I had to rely on the camera's built-in flash since I didn't bring any
>> lights or reflectors with me on that day.
>>
>> I will consider your comment to be fawning praise. It wasn't, but it
>> makes me feel better to do so.

>You mind if I nick this photo for my holiday cards? :-)
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34836045_QVwYs

Be my guest. Glad to share.

>I've been with smugmug for years. Their galleries look nice, they're
>easy to navigate, their service is good (and if you contact them with a
>problem they are always RIGHT on it), and the pro sales feature is great
>too. The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
>URLs. So instead of
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34836045_QVwYs, it
>might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
>something similar.

I can link to my home page, but I made the mistake of adding my
picture to the profile part. Until I take that down, I'll use the
gallery link. I may replace it with this one:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...09-20-0040.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 12-12-2008 05:51 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:36:09 -0500, Stephen Bishop
<nospamplease@now.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>>
>>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>>something nice, lie.

>The only constructive criticism I'll offer is that many of them are
>too obviously done with on-camera flash.

All of them. I wasn't expecting to take indoor shots that day and had
only the D40 with me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 12-12-2008 07:44 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:56:58 -0600, Caesar Romano <Spam@uce.gov>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote Re Images on SmugMug:
>
>>'m giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>>
>>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>>something nice, lie.

>Great photos! Really GREAT!!!
>
>But the prices are too low.

That's a feature of SmugMug that I don't like. It's automatically
included. Perhaps it can be removed if I can figure out the tool to
do it. I'm using SmugMug as a gallery, and have no interest in
selling images.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Eric Stevens 12-12-2008 08:04 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:50:51 -0500, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm giving SmugMug a go on their 14 day trial:
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34835982_YSfoY
>
>Comments on the images appreciated, critical comments will be hotly
>contested, and fawning praise will be treasured. If you can't say
>something nice, lie.

They look good. How do you think they compare with your originals?

Eric Stevens

Allodoxaphobia 12-12-2008 08:06 PM

Re: Images on SmugMug

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:30:00 -0500, Cynicor wrote:

> The only thing I'd like is the ability to come up with shorter
> URLs. So instead of
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/galler...34836045_QVwYs, it
> might be http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/Antiques#Bedpost or
> something similar.

You can always plug it into tinyurl.com.
Once you have your tinyurl, it's good f o r e v e r -- how ever long
_that_ is. :-)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux