Velocity Reviews

-   -   WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648347-wifi-icon-shows-connected-but-actually-no-network.html)

EvitaVie 12-12-2008 10:55 AM

WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Hello all,

I have a laptop running Win XP with SP3 installed.

Recently, for some reason (I still can't figure out why - MS Upgrade or
MacAfee antivirus update or anything else), the laptop cannot connect to the
network. When I start the laptop and login to my account, there is no error
message and the bootup is apparently OK. At the bottom right, the icon for
the WiFi appears connected with Excellent signal strength - everything in the
normal way. However, when I try to browse or download emails I realise that
there is no network connection.

I checked for necessary services and they are running:
- Netman
- WZCSVC
- Tapisrv
- Rasman
- Dnscache
- Nla
- Dhcp
Are there any other services (including dependent services) that need to be
started?

At the command prompt, when I do: ipconfig /all I get no output. Also, no
IP address is assigned (I am using dynamic IP configuration with my Broadband
router).

So something is quite wrong. Are there any services on which the above
depend, not starting correctly? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Christine

Pavel A. 12-12-2008 12:55 PM

Re: WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Unfortunately it's hard to tell from your description what's wrong.
This may be caused by security settings.
Check that the crypto type and key match these of your router.

--PA

EvitaVie 12-12-2008 02:35 PM

Re: WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
Still it does not work.

Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also). Though the router detected the
Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.

So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
service(s) inside the computer.

Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Christine

smlunatick 12-12-2008 04:06 PM

On Dec 12, 2:35*pm, EvitaVie <i...@apartrentals.com> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
> admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
> Still it does not work.
>
> Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
> router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also). *Though the router detected the
> Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.
>
> So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
> service(s) inside the computer.
>
> Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Christine
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
> > Unfortunately it's hard to tell from your description what's wrong.
> > This may be caused by security settings.
> > Check that the crypto type and key match these of your router.

> > --PA

> > EvitaVie wrote:
> > > Hello all,

> > > I have a laptop running Win XP with SP3 installed.

> > > Recently, for some reason (I still can't figure out why - MS Upgrade or
> > > MacAfee antivirus update or anything else), the laptop cannot connect to the
> > > network. When I start the laptop and login to my account, there is no error
> > > message and the bootup is apparently OK. At the bottom right, the icon for
> > > the WiFi appears connected with Excellent signal strength - everything in the
> > > normal way. However, when I try to browse or download emails I realise that
> > > there is no network connection.

> > > I checked for necessary services and they are running:
> > > - Netman
> > > - WZCSVC
> > > - Tapisrv
> > > - Rasman
> > > - Dnscache
> > > - Nla
> > > - Dhcp
> > > Are there any other services (including dependent services) that need to be
> > > started?

> > > At the command prompt, when I do: *ipconfig /all I get no output. Also, no
> > > IP address is assigned (I am using dynamic IP configuration with my Broadband
> > > router).

> > > So something is quite wrong. Are there any services on which the above
> > > depend, not starting correctly? Please help.

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Christine

I also had problems with my wifi set-up. My wifi signals were great
but I had no network or Internet access. I then tried to restart the
wifi adapter and got network / Internet access of a few minutes before
I lost access. I then discovered that my wifi router was getting a de-
authentication request, which told the router to "hang up" the network
access. Turned out my enhanced firewall software was forcing my PC
off the wifi network. I found out that I must tell my firewall module
to "trust" my wifi SSID before it would let my wifi network to work.

Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\) 12-12-2008 09:37 PM

Re: WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Hi
Disable temp. the security of the Wireless in the Router and follow this
process it.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Pavel A. 12-14-2008 09:43 AM

smlunatick wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2:35 pm, EvitaVie <i...@apartrentals.com> wrote:
>> Hi Pavel,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
>> admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
>> Still it does not work.
>>
>> Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
>> router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also). Though the router detected the
>> Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.
>>
>> So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
>> service(s) inside the computer.
>>
>> Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Christine
>>
>> "Pavel A." wrote:
>>> Unfortunately it's hard to tell from your description what's wrong.
>>> This may be caused by security settings.
>>> Check that the crypto type and key match these of your router.
>>> --PA

> I also had problems with my wifi set-up. My wifi signals were great
> but I had no network or Internet access. I then tried to restart the
> wifi adapter and got network / Internet access of a few minutes before
> I lost access. I then discovered that my wifi router was getting a de-
> authentication request, which told the router to "hang up" the network
> access. Turned out my enhanced firewall software was forcing my PC
> off the wifi network. I found out that I must tell my firewall module
> to "trust" my wifi SSID before it would let my wifi network to work.

How have you found that your router received de-auth request?
Was it sent from your own machine?

Regards,
--PA

EvitaVie 12-16-2008 02:09 AM

Re: WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Hi Jack,

I followed all the instructions on the ezlan website, including all
necessary checks. Where it stops is the following:
1. The first time my laptop boots up and I login to my profile, I see the
WLAN network connection on and soon after I get a message indicating
excellent signal strength from my router, etc. (which is the normal scenario).
2. Then I open the Network connections and double-click on the WLAN
connexion (which is still indicating connected). I then go to the Support tab
and find that there are NO IP addresses (neither for router, nor for my
laptop). Even the MAC address field is blank.

This is where it stops in the steps on ezlan. In addition, I right-click on
the WLAN network icon and try to repair the connection. The pop-up message
stating the steps of the operation finally stops at a yellow exclamation (!)
saying connection to WLAN not possible.

After this stage, the WLAN connection icon at the tray continues to show
disconnected. I used WZC only all the time.

I tried to get a connection using a wire
line network - connecting my laptop to a Ethernet port of the router. On
connection, the router port LED glows green indicating connection at physical
layer. However, no connection is detected on my laptop side and the Ethernet
network icon on the tray still shows disconnected.

In addition, when I do ipconfig /all on the DOS command prompt, it gives NO
result, NO output (not even any error message) and returns to the command
prompt.

So I am still searching in the blind, what could be the source of the
problem. Any help suggested would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Christine

EvitaVie 12-16-2008 02:22 AM

Re: WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Jack,

Another thing to mention.

Nevertheless, I tried to connect using a dialup connection and then it works
- I can connect to the Internet, browse, download emails from a POP3 server
or even chat (though slow).

Thanks in advance for helping me with this issue!

smlunatick 12-16-2008 02:15 PM

On Dec 14, 9:43*am, "Pavel A." <pave...@NOfastmailNO.fm> wrote:
> smlunatick wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 2:35 pm, EvitaVie <i...@apartrentals.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Pavel,

> >> Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
> >> admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
> >> Still it does not work.

> >> Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
> >> router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also). *Though the router detected the
> >> Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.

> >> So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
> >> service(s) inside the computer.

> >> Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.

> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Christine

> > I also had problems with my wifi set-up. *My wifi signals were great
> > but I had no network or Internet access. *I then tried to restart the
> > wifi adapter and got network / Internet access of a few minutes before
> > I lost access. *I then discovered that my wifi router was getting a de-
> > authentication request, which told the router to "hang up" the network
> > access. *Turned out my enhanced firewall software was forcing my PC
> > off the wifi network. *I found out that I must tell my firewall module
> > to "trust" my wifi SSID before it would let my wifi network to work.

> How have you found that your router received de-auth request?
> Was it sent from your own machine?
>
> Regards,
> --PA

I read the router's log. I was trying to see why my wireless was not
working and I got a recommendation to view the router's log from the
manufacturer's support forums.

sbelgard 12-24-2008 06:35 PM

Re: WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

try resetting your winsockets.

Go to download.com and download winsockfix. This should reset your IP address.