Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need info on making a photo website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t648146-need-info-on-making-a-photo-website.html)

Anonymous 12-11-2008 02:56 AM

Need info on making a photo website

Could you be so kind to have a quick look at my site and tell me how to improve it to get more traffic.
http://www.honeyhuckabee.com/
I am new to photography and want to make a bit of cash out of it.
I am pretty good i think, so does my mom.

Thanks
Shaorn

tony cooper 12-11-2008 03:37 AM

Re: Need info on making a photo website

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 03:56:29 +0100 (CET), Anonymous <cripto@ecn.org>
wrote:

>Could you be so kind to have a quick look at my site and tell me how to improve it to get more traffic.
>http://www.honeyhuckabee.com/
>I am new to photography and want to make a bit of cash out of it.
>I am pretty good i think, so does my mom.
>
>Thanks
>Shaorn

No back buttons.

The link to "text on skin" is broken.

If your intent is to sell images, the page fails miserably. There's
no clear instructions on how to buy them or how much they are.

If your intent is to display images, it's a nice site. I don't like
splash pages and a lot of clicks, but this loads quickly on cable.
Dunno about dial-up.

You may think the choice of not using capitalization in the "About"
page is cute and artsy, but the actuality is that it makes it
difficult to read. Also, the lines are too long. People skim web
pages, and long (wide) lines of text are difficult to read.

This sentence needs revision: text on skin is a type of portraiture
style that i am interested in; while a photo can say a thousand words,
i like to include a few more by writing on scotch tape and placing it
on the subject's skin.

In that font, the semi-colon is not seen. Better to break it up into
two sentences. The semi-colon is used to indicate a change in the
sentence, but not an abrupt change like this.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ray 12-11-2008 04:36 PM

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 03:56:29 +0100, Anonymous wrote:

> Could you be so kind to have a quick look at my site and tell me how to
> improve it to get more traffic. http://www.honeyhuckabee.com/
> I am new to photography and want to make a bit of cash out of it. I am
> pretty good i think, so does my mom.
>
> Thanks
> Shaorn

I'd recommend that you start by cleaning it up so that it is industry
compliant. The HTML validator at www.w3c.org shows 9 errors and 2
warnings. You may not think that is much worthwhile, and it isn't if your
intended audience includes only folks using full blown computers. But it
probably will not render properly on the newer generation handheld devices.

JC Dill 12-11-2008 05:41 PM

Anonymous wrote:
> Could you be so kind to have a quick look at my site

If your goal is to sell photos, I would focus on making it easier for
people to buy photos.

You may want to use a service like Smugmug or Exposure Manager to host
your galleries and process sales. EM has also created a new service
called Buy This Image - no subscription fees! For more details on these
services, see:

http://www.exposuremanager.com/aff/equinephotoart (you get $5 off the
annual fee, or a free second month on monthly subscriptions)
http://www.buythisimage.com/

jc

Annika1980 12-11-2008 06:08 PM

On Dec 10, 9:56*pm, Anonymous <cri...@ecn.org> wrote:

> I am new to photography and want to make a bit of cash out of it.
> I am pretty good i think, so does my mom.

Maybe your mom will buy your pics?

Marvin 12-12-2008 04:50 PM

Anonymous wrote:
> Could you be so kind to have a quick look at my site and tell me how to improve it to get more traffic.
> http://www.honeyhuckabee.com/
> I am new to photography and want to make a bit of cash out of it.
> I am pretty good i think, so does my mom.
>
> Thanks
> Shaorn

Navigation could be better. Once I open a group of
thumbnails and click on one to see it enlarged, there seems
to be no way to get back to the thumbnails directly.

John McWilliams 12-13-2008 01:51 AM

John Navas wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 03:56:29 +0100 (CET), Anonymous <cripto@ecn.org>
> wrote in <20081211025629.9835A1A78EB@isole>:
>
>> Could you be so kind to have a quick look at my site and tell me how to improve it to get more traffic.
>> http://www.honeyhuckabee.com/
>> I am new to photography and want to make a bit of cash out of it.
>> I am pretty good i think, so does my mom.

> Your home page needs to get people excited and draw them in.
> What you have now doesn't do that, for me at least.
>
> You also need to figure out ways to drive traffic to your site,
> which is the hardest part.

WEll, posting on usenet asking for advice is one way.....color me
cynical.......

--
john mcwilliams