Velocity Reviews

-   -   D60 or D80 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t647657-d60-or-d80.html)

skjoy@adelphia.net 12-08-2008 04:11 AM

D60 or D80

Just can't decide between the 2 for general purpose photography. I
would like to shoot some outside low speed sports and am looking for
the most up to date technology. Can't really read any reviews that
make my mind up. Also would possible consider the D90, but I think
that's too much camera. Any thoughts. thanks group. moving up from a
Canon S3

Brian 12-08-2008 02:15 PM

Re: D60 or D80

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:11:17 -0800 (PST), skjoy@adelphia.net wrote:

>Just can't decide between the 2 for general purpose photography. I
>would like to shoot some outside low speed sports and am looking for
>the most up to date technology. Can't really read any reviews that
>make my mind up. Also would possible consider the D90, but I think
>that's too much camera. Any thoughts. thanks group. moving up from a
>Canon S3

The D80 can use alot of lenses the D60 can't. The D40, 40x and 60 have no internal focusing motor
thus requiring the newest DX lenses with internal motors or you have to manually focus. Alot of
aftermarket lenses also don't have internal motors though they're being added to the most popular
lenses it seems.

There are other reasons to choose a D80 but to me this is the most important. There's alot of great
lenses out there that won't auto focus on the D40-D60s... YMMV !!!!!!

SMS 12-08-2008 04:16 PM

Re: D60 or D80

skjoy@adelphia.net wrote:
> Just can't decide between the 2 for general purpose photography. I
> would like to shoot some outside low speed sports and am looking for
> the most up to date technology. Can't really read any reviews that
> make my mind up. Also would possible consider the D90, but I think
> that's too much camera. Any thoughts. thanks group. moving up from a
> Canon S3

You'll have more lens choices with the D80, as it uses the standard
Nikon lens mount with a focusing motor in the camera, so it can
mechanically link to lenses without their own motors.

If you don't care about being able to use older lenses than I guess I'd
get the D60, which is very aggressively priced these days. For $650 or
so, you get the body and two VR lenses. Nikon has effectively killed the
market for high end point and shoot cameras.

Jürgen Exner 12-08-2008 05:19 PM

Re: D60 or D80

skjoy@adelphia.net wrote:
>Just can't decide between the 2 for general purpose photography. I
>would like to shoot some outside low speed sports and am looking for
>the most up to date technology. Can't really read any reviews that
>make my mind up.

Most obvious difference is that the D60 requires AF-S lenses for
auto-focus. While virtually all new consumer/prosumer lenses are AF-S,
there is large pool of used and high-end professional Nikkors which
don't have the build-in autofocus motor and therefore can be used in
manual focus mode only on the D60.

Aside of that I love the separate status LCD on top of the camera on the
D80, which allows me to review any relevant setting without turning on
the large batterie-eating main LCD.

And I preferred the larger size of the D80 (over the D40 at that time).
The D80 felt better in my hands,more solid, easier to grasp, hold on to,
and handle, and it was easier to use the controls. The D40 was too
small, it just wouldn't fit into my hands and my fingers would always be
in the wrong place.

jue

Jürgen Exner 12-08-2008 05:27 PM

Re: D60 or D80

Curtis <spamless@anyplace.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 08:16:40 -0800, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nikon has effectively killed the
>>market for high end point and shoot cameras.

>Only in your own pea-brained sized pretend-photographer mind. There are hundreds
>of advantages to choosing an excellent P&S camera over any model of DSLR.

Posting the same 25 "reasons" hundreds of times doesn't make it hundreds
of advantages, even if they are posted under hundreds of fake
identities.

While P&S certainly have their place and while there are certainly very
valid reasons why someone prefers a P&S over a SLR, the opposite holds
just as well.
Those two types simply serve different purposes, just like you won't
score high when picking up your data in the family station wagon while
on the other hand a fancy sports car really sucks taking your 5 kids to
soccer practice and neither does a good job hauling those 5 cubic meters
of beauty bark.

jue

measekite 12-08-2008 08:53 PM

Re: D60 or D80

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:11:17 -0800, skjoy wrote:

> Just can't decide between the 2 for general purpose photography. I
> would like to shoot some outside low speed sports and am looking for
> the most up to date technology. Can't really read any reviews that
> make my mind up. Also would possible consider the D90, but I think
> that's too much camera. Any thoughts. thanks group. moving up from a
> Canon S3

I would not get either. I would look at the D90. You might as well get
the latest in technology since they do last a long time. I would also
consider the Canon Rebel XSi. I like the feel of it better. And for a
little more money the Canon 50D would be my first choice. Each of those
cameras are in a different price range.

If you want to get older Technology then I guess the D80 would be OK but
the D90 is so much improved. I would stay away from the D60.

measekite 12-08-2008 08:57 PM

Re: D60 or D80

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:30:20 -0600, Curtis wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 08:16:40 -0800, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nikon has effectively killed the
>>market for high end point and shoot cameras.

> Only in your own pea-brained sized pretend-photographer mind. There are hundreds
> of advantages to choosing an excellent P&S camera over any model of DSLR.

That is correct but equally correct there are hundreds of advantage to
choosing even an entry level DSLR.

For one you can create very large cropped prints that have greater
sharpness and less noise even when shot at higher ISO's.

P&S are limited to ISO 80 to produce their best and can be acceptable up
to ISO 200. When cropped somewhat you can get a decent 8x10.

measekite 12-08-2008 08:57 PM

Re: D60 or D80

measekite 12-08-2008 09:03 PM

Re: D60 or D80

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:28:12 -0800, SMS wrote:

> Jürgen Exner wrote:
> \
>> Posting the same 25 "reasons" hundreds of times doesn't make it hundreds
>> of advantages, even if they are posted under hundreds of fake
>> identities.

> Actually there are (or were) a few advantages of P&S cameras, but those
> are rapidly disappearing.
>
> For example, it used to be that only P&S cameras could shoot video, but
> with the advent of the D90 and 5D Mark II, that has changed, and no
> doubt video capability will be standard in future models, even at the
> low end. It used to be that only a P&S could have a preview LCD, but
> that has changed. Dust used to be a problem on D-SLRs until they
> introduced automatic cleaning systems. D-SLRs used to be a lot more
> expensive than a high end P&S, but that advantage has largely
> disappeared; you can now buy a D60 with two VR lenses for less than a
> Canon G10.
>
> Really the only advantage left for P&S cameras is size, and even that's
> not such a big advantage when you compare a high-end P&S like the Canon
> G10 or Lumix G2 to the smallest D-SLR.

UNFORTUNATELY the high end Canon G10 looses its luster when shot above ISO
80 according to all of the test reports I have read.

For the most part the image quality of the lower end Canon SD880 is about
the same.

> Meanwhile the list of advantages of D-SLRs is very long.
>
> -Much better quality optics
> -Much better high-ISO performance
> -Much wider range of optics, from extreme wide-angle to extreme
> telephoto -Much faster auto-focus
> -Much wider dynamic range
> -True optical viewfinder
> -Manual control
> -Much higher frame rate
>
> These are just a few of the advantages.
>
> What's happening in the market is that people are buying D-SLRs for when
> they need higher quality, or they need to shoot in low light, or they
> need fast AF, and also buying a compact P&S to take with them when the
> D-SLR is too much to carry. It's not either/or. What's ironic is that
> P&S digital cameras are probably the one consumer-electronics product
> that people complain the most about. They hate the auto-focus/shutter
> lag, and they hate the poor low-light performance. Both are problems
> that they didn't have with film P&S cameras. If anything is driving the
> huge increase in D-SLR sales, it's the performance issues of P&S digital
> cameras.

I also think that many users want to print 11x14 and larger and crop
somewhat as well and still want that prize winning sharpness with low
noise and high resolution.

The main issue with all digital is dynamic range.

Blinky the Shark 12-08-2008 09:03 PM

Re: D60 or D80

Brian wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:11:17 -0800 (PST), skjoy@adelphia.net wrote:
>
>>Just can't decide between the 2 for general purpose photography. I would
>>like to shoot some outside low speed sports and am looking for the most
>>up to date technology. Can't really read any reviews that make my mind
>>up. Also would possible consider the D90, but I think that's too much
>>camera. Any thoughts. thanks group. moving up from a Canon S3

> The D80 can use alot of lenses the D60 can't. The D40, 40x and 60 have no
> internal focusing motor thus requiring the newest DX lenses with internal
> motors or you have to manually focus.

I never noticed that -- focus motors are only being put in DX lenses?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups