Velocity Reviews

-   -   Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t647482-java-and-usb-it-is-possible-open-source-and-simple.html)

Etantonio 12-06-2008 07:08 PM

Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ??

Hi,
for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
and receive data from this device.
Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
library you suggest me ??
Thanks,

Antonio
www.etantonio.it

Joshua Cranmer 12-06-2008 07:25 PM

Re: Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ??

Etantonio wrote:
> Hi,
> for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
> and receive data from this device.
> Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
> library you suggest me ??

First off, don't multipost. It fragments discussions, etc. Keep in mind
that many people read many of the different c.l.j.* newsgroups, so you
need only post in one, MAYBE two, anyways.

Second, GIYF: <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+usb>. jUSB would
probably be your best bet, although it appears to be abandonware.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

steve 12-07-2008 09:28 PM

Re: Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ??

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:08:25 +0800, Etantonio wrote
(in article
<933bc95d-c83d-4ad1-93fc-5f73f972f9db@k19g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>):

> Hi,
> for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
> and receive data from this device.
> Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
> library you suggest me ??
> Thanks,
>
> Antonio
> www.etantonio.it

Don't need to make it so complicated.
go for JINI, write a couple of sections of c/c++ code.
You can have it done in a couple of hours .
if your on a mac, examples for read/writing to USB devices from java using
c/c++ libraries are available.

Steve

etantonio 12-09-2008 07:47 AM

Re: Java and usb ... it is possible, open source and simple ??

It seems that it works just under linux while I need it also for
windows.
Any other suggest ??

Antonio
www.etantonio.it/en

etantonio 12-09-2008 09:54 PM

On 6 Dic, 20:25, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeo...@verizon.invalid> wrote:
> Etantonio wrote:
> > Hi,
> > for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
> > and receive data from this device.
> > Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
> > library you suggest me ??

> First off, don't multipost. It fragments discussions, etc. Keep in mind
> that many people read many of the different c.l.j.* newsgroups, so you
> need only post in one, MAYBE two, anyways.
>
> Second, GIYF: <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+usb>. jUSB would
> probably be your best bet, although it appears to be abandonware.
>
> --
> Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
> tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

wHAT ABOUT THIS PROJECT ??
dO YOU THINK COULD BE A GOOD SOLUTION ??

Thanks,

Antonio
www.etantonio.it/de

Sebastian Millies 12-12-2008 11:16 AM

Am Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:25:43 -0500 schrieb Joshua Cranmer:

> Etantonio wrote:
>> Hi,
>> for a project I need to connect a pc to an usb device and I've to send
>> and receive data from this device.
>> Do you think that this could be simply implemented ?? What kind of
>> library you suggest me ??

> First off, don't multipost. It fragments discussions, etc. Keep in mind
> that many people read many of the different c.l.j.* newsgroups, so you
> need only post in one, MAYBE two, anyways.
>
> Second, GIYF: <http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+usb>. jUSB would
> probably be your best bet, although it appears to be abandonware.

Here's some info on jUSB (from 2003, but may still help):
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ary/j-usb.html

And here's a bit on creating your own JNI-based Java/USB API:
http://today.java.net/lpt/a/303

Here's a link to a German company ("Bubensoft") who offer a Java/USB API.
You can download it after registering. Installation template, Windows
driver and sample code are included. Note: Everything is in German only.
http://87.174.83.219/home/home.html

Caveat: I've tried none of this myself, because the project for which
I did the research never materialized after all.

-- Sebastian