Velocity Reviews

-   -   ASA 5510 Failover License (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t647262-asa-5510-failover-license.html)

turnip 12-04-2008 10:34 PM

ASA 5510 Failover License

I have 2 ASA 5510's that appear to need new licenses to enable
failover. Can anyone confirm its ASA5510-SEC-PL ? And what is the best
way to get this ? Are these licenses really 500-800 (on the web) per
device ?

Brian V 12-04-2008 11:08 PM

Re: ASA 5510 Failover License

"turnip" <jzakhar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 ASA 5510's that appear to need new licenses to enable
> failover. Can anyone confirm its ASA5510-SEC-PL ? And what is the best
> way to get this ? Are these licenses really 500-800 (on the web) per
> device ?

Yes, those are the part numbers you need to enable failover. 500$ is an
awesome price if you can get it for that. Typically 800-900$ from a VAR.

turnip 12-04-2008 11:52 PM

On Dec 4, 3:08*pm, "Brian V" <die_spam...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "turnip" <jzak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have 2 ASA 5510's that appear to need new licenses to enable
> > failover. Can anyone confirm its ASA5510-SEC-PL ? And what is the best
> > way to get this ? Are these licenses really 500-800 (on the web) per
> > device ?

> Yes, those are the part numbers you need to enable failover. 500$ is an
> awesome price if you can get it for that. Typically 800-900$ from a VAR.

Damn I was hoping a smart net or some other service contract would
cover it. As well thanks for the info

Brian V 12-05-2008 01:33 PM

On Dec 4, 3:08 pm, "Brian V" <die_spam...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "turnip" <jzak...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have 2 ASA 5510's that appear to need new licenses to enable
> > failover. Can anyone confirm its ASA5510-SEC-PL ? And what is the best
> > way to get this ? Are these licenses really 500-800 (on the web) per
> > device ?

> Yes, those are the part numbers you need to enable failover. 500$ is an
> awesome price if you can get it for that. Typically 800-900$ from a VAR.

>Damn I was hoping a smart net or some other service contract would
>cover it. As well thanks for the info

It's not software, it's a PAK key which you register on CCO along with the
ASA's serial numbers. You then get an activation key that enables functions
within the ASA. The ASA must be rebooted for it to take effect, but will
continue to operate normally until then. The Plus license gets you a whole
heck of a lot more than just failover, more interfaces, more VLAN's, more
connections, VPN clustering etc etc
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...omparison.html

-Brian