Velocity Reviews

-   -   Friend's hard drive is running slow (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t647207-friends-hard-drive-is-running-slow.html)

MaryL 12-04-2008 05:20 PM

Friend's hard drive is running slow

I received e-mail from a friend this morning. He said his computer is "slow
and grinding" these days. He forwarded an ad for NortonLive PC Power Boost
and wanted to know if I thought that would work. Well, I don't know
anything about that particular product, but I do know that I now avoid
anything from Norton/Symantec like the plague. Still, what could I do to
help him?

He does not download programs, as far as I know. (I'll know more after I go
over to his house to check.) He does basic wordprocessing (WordPerfect), a
lot of e-mail, and surfs the Internet. That's about it. He has Vista.
Again, I'm not sure which version, but I would guess that it's an OEM
version of Vista Home Premium. I think his computer is about 3 years old.

When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck, and I will also use
Internet Options under IE to delete temporary files, cookies, etc. I know
he has a virus checker, but I suspect it is Norton. That is an obvious
starting place. I will also check to see if he has anything to check for
sypware. Other than that, what can I do to help him? And do you have any
specific suggestions as to which programs I should use for checking his
system? I have used Avast! and AVG Free. I liked AVG but eventually gave
up on it when I went through a period where they were going through some
sort of "transition" period that made using it more awkward (at least, for
me). That may have improved by now. I am currently using TrendMicro but
will probably look into those two programs again for myself when my one-year
with TrendMicro has expired.

Thanks,
MaryL

MaryL 12-04-2008 05:31 PM

Re: Friend's hard drive is running slow

"MaryL" <stancole1@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
news:49381170$0$5465$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net. ..

> When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck,
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Ooops! I will run chkdsk, not "syscheck." Another senior moment, I guess.

MaryL

Bucky Breeder 12-04-2008 05:33 PM

Re: Friend's hard drive is running slow

"MaryL" <stancole1@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> propogated this using

> "MaryL" <stancole1@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:49381170$0$5465$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net. ..
>>
>> When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck,
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL

> Ooops! I will run chkdsk, not "syscheck." Another senior moment, I
> guess.
>
> MaryL

Ginkgo-Biloba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba

Google for the sales in your locale

HTH

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got the Christmas Spirit! <(*(}^%{>~*

Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous Holiday Season! Yes, even
to the degenerate PCs and MACs because peace is what the baby
Jesus would want under his Christmas tree - and Tonka Toys too!
What-up with all this gold, frankincense and myrrh crap? It's like
getting underwear, pajamas, and toothbrushes - all wrapped up. WTF?!?!

http://kitty-pron.notlong.com/

Repent, the end is near! So... smoke'em if you got'em.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 12-04-2008 08:43 PM

MaryL wrote:

> I received e-mail from a friend this morning. He said his computer is "slow
> and grinding" these days.

Frequently, the cause of "became slow" is malware. Perhaps he is now
part of a Russian bot-net, and the PC is busily spewing fifty thousand
spam messages every day.

> He forwarded an ad for NortonLive PC Power Boost and wanted to know if
> I thought that would work.

Is he on broadband? (so are millions of other Windows users in those
bot-nets)

> a lot of e-mail,

Outlook Express? How large are his mail files? There is a limit (I'd
have to look it up) and the program bogs down, and trashes the files.

> He has Vista. Again, I'm not sure which version, but I would guess
> that it's an OEM version of Vista Home Premium. I think his computer
> is about 3 years old.

Vista's been out for two years. <g>

> When I get to his house, I will do defrag and syscheck, and I will also use
> Internet Options under IE to delete temporary files, cookies, etc. I know
> he has a virus checker, but I suspect it is Norton. ...

Check free drive space. Check the Norton for current license.

Run these two programs:
SUPERAntiSpyware for home use: http://superantispyware.com/
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for home use: http://malwarebytes.org/

--
-bts

Bucky Breeder 12-04-2008 09:32 PM

using the news:49381170$0$5465$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net:

> Re: Friend's hard drive is running slow

Is your friend from Nairobi?

Well, you'd better hurry up and catch it before it speeds up.

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , & I got the Christmas Spirit! <(*(}^%{>~*

Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous Holiday Season! Yes, even
to the degenerate A-types and retards because peace is what the baby