Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t647061-re-the-better-os-to-use-for-older-hardware.html)

John 12-03-2008 06:08 PM

Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

In message <D5WdnYoNJOhhPq3UnZ2dnUVZ_qPinZ2d@earthlink.com> , robb
<some@where.on.net> writes
>I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
>(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
>to install on older hardware.
>
>Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
>
>and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
>than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
>OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
>quirks :}
>
>I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
>with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
>supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
>
>thanks for any helpful advice,
>
>robb
>
>sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
>alot and you have been helpful in that past

There are several 'small' forms of LINUX from the tiny upwards, some of
which will (supposedly) run from a CD without actually installing them
on the PC. The mag. freebies often include one or more versions, but a
web search should bring up something useful.
--
John.

Eeyore 12-03-2008 07:33 PM

John wrote:

> In message <D5WdnYoNJOhhPq3UnZ2dnUVZ_qPinZ2d@earthlink.com> , robb
> <some@where.on.net> writes
> >I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
> >(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
> >to install on older hardware.
> >
> >Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
> >
> >and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
> >than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
> >OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
> >quirks :}
> >
> >I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
> >with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
> >supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
> >
> >thanks for any helpful advice,
> >
> >sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
> >alot and you have been helpful in that past
> >

> There are several 'small' forms of LINUX from the tiny upwards, some of
> which will (supposedly) run from a CD without actually installing them
> on the PC. The mag. freebies often include one or more versions, but a
> web search should bring up something useful.

Try this .....
http://www.puppylinux.org/

Graham

Baron 12-03-2008 09:32 PM

John wrote:

> In message <D5WdnYoNJOhhPq3UnZ2dnUVZ_qPinZ2d@earthlink.com> , robb
> <some@where.on.net> writes
>>I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
>>(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
>>to install on older hardware.
>>
>>Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
>>
>>and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
>>than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
>>OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
>>quirks :}
>>
>>I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
>>with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
>>supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
>>
>>thanks for any helpful advice,
>>
>>robb
>>
>>sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
>>alot and you have been helpful in that past
>>

> There are several 'small' forms of LINUX from the tiny upwards, some
> of which will (supposedly) run from a CD without actually installing
> them on the PC. The mag. freebies often include one or more versions,
> but a web search should bring up something useful.

I have clients that use live CD's and nothing else. No hard drive at
all, the data is stored on the central server.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Eeyore 12-04-2008 03:22 AM

Baron wrote:

> I have clients that use live CD's and nothing else. No hard drive at
> all, the data is stored on the central server.

Server ? Who said he had a server ?

Graham

Baron 12-04-2008 10:40 AM

Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

Eeyore Inscribed thus:

> Baron wrote:
>
>> I have clients that use live CD's and nothing else. No hard drive at
>> all

> Server ? Who said he had a server ?
>
> Graham

If you didn't snip the context then it would be obvious !

--
Best Reagrds:
Baron.